cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user on a collection card - verified??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user on a collection card - verified??

My hubby has a collection on his acct from a card he was an authorized user on that went into collections. I disputed with all 3 (in writing) and have only heard back from Experian so far, but they verified, and didn't remove it. What now? This account should have been removed correct?

I also put that all addresses are wrong, or out of date (we have lived at our current residence 5 yrs and the one prior to that for 5 yrs, they have like 20+ addresses and phone numbers listed from 15+ yrs ago, some from ppl that have his same name but he's actually never lived at, my patents, his parents, my past addresses, etc they are all wrong) and they didn't remove any of them. Not sure what to do now, should I have him call experian in the morning?

We are trying to get a car loan, this last credit card that isn't actually his is the only outstanding collection on his account. We need a loan ASAP so I don't really want to wait another 30 days, but I guess we might have to. The account is $700 and it is due for removal next year so I REALLYYYY don't want to pay itt!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user on a collection card - verified??

If was just an authorized user I thought he should be able to remove himself from au status. That should  take the tl off the report.  IS there something I am missing? 

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

First and foremost, an authorized user is not, by definition, a person with any contractual obligation for the debt.

An AU has no legal standing as the consumer upon which to dispute the accuracy of credit reporting based on a debt.

An AU only secures, based on CRA policy, the right to have credit information pertaining to another also posted to their credit file.

Assuming you did have standing, a dispute pertains only to verification or correction of the specific information identified in the dispute as being inaccurate.

If the furnisher cannot verify of correct the identified information, deletion is mandated, but only as to the specific information that is under dispute.

Deletion of an entire account or of informaiton that is not under dispute is not required.

What was the asserted inaccuracy in the dispute that would serve as basis or the deletion of all reporting?

As stated in the prior response, the proper course would likely be to simply remove the AU from his credit report.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is a collection agency reporting the AU account (that is in collections) on his report as a collection. I disputed this, as he is only an AU and not liable for the account .The dispute came back as "Meets the requirements of the FCRA". Any advice on what to do next to get this collection removed from his report?

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

He was an AU on a credit card that stopped being paid on and went into collections. The collections agency is now reporting on his account. He can not remove himself as an AU on the account because the account is no longer open and has been charged off. I need to get this collection removed from his account. 

I hope I explained it better. 

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Out of curiosity, have you reached out to the CA? From the sounds of it, this doesn't make sense as an AU has no financial obligation to the OC and this is clearly stated when you add an AU.
Message 6 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

As long as he is still listed as an AU, any reporting by either the original creditor or a debt collector can be shown in his credit file.  Being an AU is express authorization to have the history of another included in your credit report, even though you have no legal obligation for the debt.

A statement that you are not responsible for the debt is not basis for removal of AU reporting, as that is the fact by definition of any and all AU reporting.

However, there is no requirment that an AU status cannot be removed after an account is closed or reported for collection.

You are rescinding the request to have the history of another reported to your file, which is independent of the content of that history.

He should pursue removal of the AU status, which thereafter will remove it from his credit report and scoring.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You are disputing with the credit bureaus when you should be talking to the Original Creditor to be removed from the account.

Message 8 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes first contact the OC to be removed as AU and if they dont do it then file a CFPB complaint. http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.