Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user on my GF's CC Account

tag
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

Re: Authorized user on my GF's CC Account

@notfancy wrote:

I hear you. It can be very frustrating and very hard to be patient.. believe me I know. (see my signature for my inquires which are a horrible no no)

Try working with your CU or a different one. Also look around this site for other credit cards that might work with  and for you. You might qualify at this point for a Cap 1 Unsecured which should help down the road.. and there are options to look into other banks that will possibly work with you. Don't pick up another secured account though with out first seeing if it will grow with you and graduate to an unsecured card in the future.

Gotcha! That sounds good.

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Current FICO Scores: 783 (EX) | 766 (EQ) | 764 (TU)
Message 31 of 36
notfancy
Valued Contributor

@Hcontreras wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

Right. I'd definitely look for another credit union if possible. Or talk to someone else there and clarify what the first person said to you.

That all being said, you might qualify now for an unsecured card. Try the pre-approval sections of the different cards. Search around and see what kind of card you might want and what works for you. You can try creditcards.com and see if they pull up any thing for you that you might be able to get approved for unsecured. One or two more cards of your own could really only help you down the road.

I was going to wait until I got the "actual" bump up in my score after my GF adds me to her CC as an AU that she's had for about 17 years (since '97). That account stands at about 13% utilization and NO LATES! My current score is shown below, but I wanted a little bump before I get another inquiry with nothing to show for it again :-( Yours thoughts?

Probably a good idea. Again though, like another poster suggested, don't get your hopes up too high just in case. Chase and a few others don't take AUs into account, so if it appears that the majority of your history is based on your lady's history you might still get declined.

Yeah, good point. It's so frustrating! How the heck am I supposed to get credit?!?! It's not like I have "bad" credit, I just dont have "much" credit (6 months worth at only $600 limit). This process can be exhausting sometimes. Lol. Ugghhhh

I guess now my question is; what good does an AU account do if it artificially inflates or decreases someone's score? I mean, when it comes to "establishing credit" why do people even do it? if they are discounted by lenders and banks when making the decision to give somone credit? Is it a bad idea? or am I wasting my time by even doing that?

Good questions and I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that personally. If we search around the forums, I'm sure we'll find answers but in short it DOES help at least with some lenders and in some cases helps establish some history for people that have thing files. I was added recently to an account that is 18 years old because I needed the Average Age of Accounts assistance lol. It hasn't reported yet, so I don't know how it has (or if it will help) but I'm hoping that it does.

In short- I only know that it does help in some cases with a lot of lenders.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 32 of 36
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

@notfancy wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

@Hcontreras wrote:

@notfancy wrote:

Right. I'd definitely look for another credit union if possible. Or talk to someone else there and clarify what the first person said to you.

That all being said, you might qualify now for an unsecured card. Try the pre-approval sections of the different cards. Search around and see what kind of card you might want and what works for you. You can try creditcards.com and see if they pull up any thing for you that you might be able to get approved for unsecured. One or two more cards of your own could really only help you down the road.

I was going to wait until I got the "actual" bump up in my score after my GF adds me to her CC as an AU that she's had for about 17 years (since '97). That account stands at about 13% utilization and NO LATES! My current score is shown below, but I wanted a little bump before I get another inquiry with nothing to show for it again :-( Yours thoughts?

Probably a good idea. Again though, like another poster suggested, don't get your hopes up too high just in case. Chase and a few others don't take AUs into account, so if it appears that the majority of your history is based on your lady's history you might still get declined.

Yeah, good point. It's so frustrating! How the heck am I supposed to get credit?!?! It's not like I have "bad" credit, I just dont have "much" credit (6 months worth at only $600 limit). This process can be exhausting sometimes. Lol. Ugghhhh

I guess now my question is; what good does an AU account do if it artificially inflates or decreases someone's score? I mean, when it comes to "establishing credit" why do people even do it? if they are discounted by lenders and banks when making the decision to give somone credit? Is it a bad idea? or am I wasting my time by even doing that?

Good questions and I'm afraid I don't have the answer to that personally. If we search around the forums, I'm sure we'll find answers but in short it DOES help at least with some lenders and in some cases helps establish some history for people that have thing files. I was added recently to an account that is 18 years old because I needed the Average Age of Accounts assistance lol. It hasn't reported yet, so I don't know how it has (or if it will help) but I'm hoping that it does.

In short- I only know that it does help in some cases with a lot of lenders.

Alright....By the way, if you don't mind, let me know if/when it shows on your credit and if it actually raises your score, etc. I haven't read any posts of someone saying it has worked for raising scores and helping get approved for more credit. :-)

In my wallet: AMEX BCE $18k | AMEX ED $19.5k | AMEX EDP $10k | AMEX BCEP $10k | HEFCU $10k | Discover it $8.8k | Capital One QS $9k | Chase Freedom $4.5k | Walmart $3,200 | JCrew $2,350 | Chase Slate (AU) $22k.
Now in the garden...
Message 33 of 36
notfancy
Valued Contributor

I will!

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Message 34 of 36
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Here are a bunch of posts about Authorized Users.. hoping some of it helps... http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=labels&q=authorized+user

Again, it should help you a lot up until someone does a manual review of your account.

Message 35 of 36
Hcontreras
Frequent Contributor

Great stuff! Thanks for your help and comments!

Now in the garden...
Message 36 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.