Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user on settled C/O CC account

tag
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Authorized user on settled C/O CC account

Hello all,

I'm new here but have been reading for a while. I was an authorized user on an uncles Chase credit card and it subsequently charged off and he settled for less than full and this is wreaking havoc on my credit. Is there anything I can do to get this removed from my report quickly?

Any help or input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: Authorized user on settled C/O CC account

Yeah call them and ask to remove you from the account.

Message 2 of 8
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Can I do it even though i'm only the authorized user? For some reason, I was under the impression that they would want the primary account holder to make that request. Thanks for the quick response.

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 3 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

@Focker69 wrote:

Can I do it even though i'm only the authorized user? For some reason, I was under the impression that they would want the primary account holder to make that request. Thanks for the quick response.

You are only authorized to use the card and not responsible for the debt so yeah I would call and ask to be removed since you no longer want to be an AU

Message 4 of 8
ImprezaGardener

I also have this issue, I disputed it and in the dispute selected "this is the account of a family member" as it was one of the options.  I'm still waiting to hear back, though if it is validated I'll have my family member attempt to call and remove me.  I wonder if they will have issues as the account is charged off and closed.

Message 5 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

@ImprezaGardener wrote:

I also have this issue, I disputed it and in the dispute selected "this is the account of a family member" as it was one of the options.  I'm still waiting to hear back, though if it is validated I'll have my family member attempt to call and remove me.  I wonder if they will have issues as the account is charged off and closed.

Nahh you shouldnt have any issue since like I stated above you are just authorized to use the account and not responsible for it.

Message 6 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Why not have the principal account holder contact their creditor and delete the autorized user status?

Message 7 of 8
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

I had myself removed as AU on 3 or 4 accounts.  I just called and asked.  VOILA!  Shell was a PITA, but got it done!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.