Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user problems regarding CC utilization

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Authorized user problems regarding CC utilization

So apparently I am listed as an Authorized user on two of my mothers credit cards.  Now she has excellent credit(Fico over 800 for all three CRAs) but on these two cards specifically, she carries a high balance.

She decided that should I ever need emergency cash, she would add me on as an authorized user.  Even though I do not have the cards and don't use them, there are two credit cards with my name sitting at her house.  When looking at my credit reports, I see that my revolving debt is really high, roughly 29.5K of 34K.  The problem is that 29.5K of that is actually her debt and has nothing to do with me.  All my credit cards are paid off and sitting pretty at a zero balance.

I initiated disputes claiming I am just an authorized user, not a secondary card holder, and have no financial responsibility for those debts and am hoping they come off my credit report but am not sure they will.

After some review, When I bought my house last April, the underwriter ignored those two line items as I am listed only as an authorized user, but when I play with the FICO score calculator, and I input that those balances are at zero, my score jumps up pver 100 points.  Also, as I just initiated disputes last week regarding some other items showing up on my report, my scores dropped.  TU is 666 and EQ(was 690) dropped to 663.  I want to get those "revolving" balances off my credit reports so they stop having such an impact on my credit score.  The lady at Discover told me that the main reason she could not approve me for the feature card was because of my high revolving debt.  She then offered me a Discover IT card with no AF and a $1000.00 limit, which I stupidly declined.  How can being an AU hurt you so much when the history is perfect?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

Re: Authorized user problems regarding CC utilization

There is a bad side to removing yourself as an AU.  You lose on the AAoA.

It does hurt when the primary maintains a high balance while the AU is trying to build credit.  So its your call if you want to trade AAoA for lower util.

It is possible that anything you apply to for the most part could be recon'd and you could explain the whole AU issue to the underwriter on a case by case basis.

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Authorized user problems regarding CC utilization

I am not worried about the AAoE as I have had cards in good standing for longer than those...AND, I intentionally left some items that I have no idea about on my credit report BECAUSE they are in good standing and are old.  On the MyFico score calculator, if I remove all relvolving debt, my score jumps drasticaly, that is what I am trying to achieve here.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.