Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Authorized user question

tag
JPeanut503
Frequent Contributor

Re: Authorized user question

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
Some card issuers report an AU and it helps, and others don't.

For example, BarclaysCard reports my wife as an AU but the details are null, and shows no credit limit info or anything.

Each issuer varies, so keep that in mind.

I am the AU on my husbands Barclay Card and it reports on both of ours every month; everything. Same goes for our Cap1 accounts.

Beginning myfico score watch 608 (4/4/14)
EQ 652 (9/17/14) myfico
TU 641 (9/17/14) myfico
EX 671 (9/17/14) myfico
**Goal Score: 700 across the board
Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Trying to find out now if our loan officer for a mortgage would accept or have me remove it
Message 12 of 18
Ysettle4
Valued Contributor

Capital One, AMEX - all require the SSN of the authorized user to issue cards with different account numbers other than the account holder so it will report on the authorized users credit report. Chase also reports as well but without the need of a SSN.

769 INQs: 6774 INQs: 5764 INQs: 8UTIL: 2%AAoA: 5yr 8mosTotal Credit Line: $873,950
Message 13 of 18
DaBears
Senior Contributor

@0REDSOX7 wrote:
Good to know.

I guess it all depends, but BofA had no issues with the loan we did with her added.

Thanks for the tip.

Does this apply only to mortgages or cars, too?

Just for mortgages to my understanding

DaBears

Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

UPDATE - spoke with our loan officer and he said that as long as we are using both of us to qualify for the mortgage that he accepted authorized users on credit reports.

Message 15 of 18
doorsider

In June 2014 my wife just received her new SSN after the approval for the  Green Card ,  since there was not credit history at all   i called barclays and capital one to add her to my credit cards as authorized user, after 2 months  i went to credit karma website to check her credit  and was from , no history to 719 credit score , it really works

Message 16 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

i don't want to rain on anyone's parade or offend anyone with this.  But since this thread topic is about authorized users, I just want to let people know the dangers of adding an authorized user.  They can max out your credit card & you are still liable for it.  Even if you think that you can trust the person, maybe that's true today & been true for the last 5 years etc., but people change!  My best friend and cousin, his wife helped him rebuild his credit by adding him on two of her credit cards, and by helping him pay off his car loan.  They were married for 7 years very happily.  And then suddenly she found out that he was cheating on her & they had a fight & he abandoned her over it saying that he had not loved her for a long time etc.  He then promptly maxxed out her 2 credit cards with a very expensive international vacation with his mistress.  He was only an AU & she is stuck with 2 maxxed credit cards.  So just saying it since it hasn't already been said.  There are some things like this that you can't take back & people change, no matter how much you feel that you know them / trust them.

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, I have a question. Did the authorized user account you added that went from no history to 700, reported all 3 credit bureaus?

@doorsider wrote:

In June 2014 my wife just received her new SSN after the approval for the  Green Card ,  since there was not credit history at all   i called barclays and capital one to add her to my credit cards as authorized user, after 2 months  i went to credit karma website to check her credit  and was from , no history to 719 credit score , it really works

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.