cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Charge-Off - Where do I go from here?

tag
ygarza30

Auto Charge-Off - Where do I go from here?

I tried applying for a car loan today and the finance guy pulled up my CR.. To my surprise, I have an EQ FICO score of 593 (I thought it was lower). I have a CO from Nissan Motor Acceptance first reported on 01/2012 with a balance of $3,864 on a auto loan taken on back in 2005. They never repo'ed the vehicle and it is stil under my possesion however, I know that I have to one day pay off the balance so I can acquire the title. The finance guy at the dealership said if I paid the charge-off in full, it would raise my score significantly since there is only one other medical collection account that needs to be paid.. I called Nissan today and they said once I paid the CA (Plaza Associates) they would mail me the title and a confirmation letter stating that the account has been paid in full.. And that surely the account would state "PIF" on my CR rather than a CO. I also called the CA and they said the same thing - also, the collection company is not showing on any of my CR"s - the collection account is being reported by Nissan only. At this point, i'm stuck as in what to do going forward... Should I send Nissan a PFD? I don't think they would be willing to delete the whole TL and I was 30 days past due several time due to job layoff, etc. Will paying the CO raise my credit score? It was first reported on Jan 2012

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto Charge-Off - Where do I go from here?

@ygarza30 wrote:

I tried applying for a car loan today and the finance guy pulled up my CR.. To my surprise, I have an EQ FICO score of 593 (I thought it was lower). I have a CO from Nissan Motor Acceptance first reported on 01/2012 with a balance of $3,864 on a auto loan taken on back in 2005. They never repo'ed the vehicle and it is stil under my possesion however, I know that I have to one day pay off the balance so I can acquire the title. The finance guy at the dealership said if I paid the charge-off in full, it would raise my score significantly since there is only one other medical collection account that needs to be paid.. I called Nissan today and they said once I paid the CA (Plaza Associates) they would mail me the title and a confirmation letter stating that the account has been paid in full.. And that surely the account would state "PIF" on my CR rather than a CO. I also called the CA and they said the same thing - also, the collection company is not showing on any of my CR"s - the collection account is being reported by Nissan only. At this point, i'm stuck as in what to do going forward... Should I send Nissan a PFD? I don't think they would be willing to delete the whole TL and I was 30 days past due several time due to job layoff, etc. Will paying the CO raise my credit score? It was first reported on Jan 2012

Paying a charge off on an installment loan probably won't raise your credit score. I would try to negotiate a PFD.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 2 of 3
ygarza30

Re: Auto Charge-Off - Where do I go from here?

Do I negotiate the PFD with the OC or the CA? .... The OC is Nissan Motor.. they are the only ones reporting the CO to the CRA's

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.