Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto repossession deficiency question

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Auto repossession deficiency question

Over two years ago, I had a vehicle repossesed by Credit Acceptace Corp, and now have a deficiency of  between $5,900 and $7,000 depending on wht credit report I look at. It's also showing the date of last activity as last month, even though there has been no activity on the account since the repossesion in May of 2012.

The circumstances leading up to the repo were my wife filed for divorce, and in a fit of brilliance, her attorney convinced her to also file for a temporary restraining order against me to strengthen the divorce case against me. Part of the temporary restraining order was that I had nothing to do with the vehicle, which was in my name only because I provided the only income in the household.

Because of this, I couldn't legally pay the payment without violating the restraining order. Her father and lawyer convinced her to not pay the loan since it wasn't under her name, and even told Credit Acceptance when they called that we weren't paying, and to just come and take the car, which they did approximately a week after the payment first became late.

Because of the restraining order, I never received any correspondence from Credit Acceptance, I'm assuming that it all went to my home that I couldn't go to and my wife.

After the repossession, the entire temporary restraining order was thrown out with prejudice as being without cause.

Now, I'm trying to clean up my credit, and this is the only major derogatory remark left on my credit report.

What's my best option to get this cleaned up? I don't have money to just pay the entire balance, but I can make some payments. I don't want to make payments and restart the date of last activity, athough my credit report is showing the last activity was last month. I also haven't heard from them at all since this, they've made no attempt to collect the debt as fr as I know. It hasn't been assigned to a credit agency that I know of, it's still being reported by them. I'm also afraid that if I contact them to try and work something out, I'll draw attention to it and open myself up to a potential lawsuit.

My options that I see are:

• Keep not paying, and hope that they don't try to collect in the next few years and just take the hit to my credit score
  • Contact them and try to work out a payment plan
  • Contact them and try to validate the debt - I don't think that this will do much besides draw attention to it, I think what they're reporting is fairly accurate. The only thing that I could think of is trying to get them to validate that I received the notices thta they're required to send on a repo. I like this option the least, it seems like most likely to backfire on me
  • Contact them and explain what happened, and include a copy of the temporary restraining order and see if they will let me make payments and do something to improve what they're reporting. Hopefully have it seen by someone who'd been screwed over in a divorce themselves.

What would you guys suggest? One of these options, or something else?

Thanks

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

Re: Auto repossession deficiency question

They repoed the car. You're on the hook. Restraining order means don't go/touch. Doesn't protect you from financial liability though..should've kept paying until the divorce was settled, then fought for car on division of assets. 

Did they auction it off, or give you the chance to reaffirm the loan?

Message 2 of 10
coterotie
Established Contributor

I actually think a good attorney could bluff them into a settlement.

1. If the TRO barred you from making the payments then you couldn't legally make the payments.
  2. They communicated your financial information to your wife without your consent without her being a party to the loan
  3. They failed to communicate the status of the loan, they failed to disclose to you the communication with your wife who was not a party to the loan or allow you to remedy the situation
  4. Their failure to folllow proper/legal procedures has harmed you.

Then have the attorney ask them for damages and then settle.

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I realize that I'm on the hook for it, which is why I was asking for advice on how best to proceed instead of just complaining that they reported it.

This particular TRO specifically forbade me from being physically near the car, and from having any financial dealings with it at all. It was spelled out very clearly in the papers that I was served.

As far as whether it was auctioned off or they gave me a chance to reclaim the loan, I have no idea. Like I said earlier, I haven't received ANYTHING from them one way or another.
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think that this is something that I could do on my own without an attorney? Or is it something that they make not take seriously if it doesn't come on a letter from an attorney? With it being over two years ago, is there a statue of limitations that I need to be aware of?

I'm afraid that using one may cost as much as just paying the amount owed, and frankly I've had enough with attorneys for a while.

Thanks
Message 5 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Do you think that this is something that I could do on my own without an attorney? Or is it something that they make not take seriously if it doesn't come on a letter from an attorney? With it being over two years ago, is there a statue of limitations that I need to be aware of?

I'm afraid that using one may cost as much as just paying the amount owed, and frankly I've had enough with attorneys for a while.

Thanks

If that magic piece of paper says you're off the hook financially, then it's lawyer time. It's two civil torts at once...too much.

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I will look into this.
Message 7 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you, I will look into this.

Consumer debt attorney first. Try AVVO, or NACA to find someone local. 

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check that out.

Message 9 of 10
coterotie
Established Contributor

Having a consult with the legal eagle will likely be free.  Having him write a nasty letter won't cost too much (he has to give you a fee estimate before he works for you) in the $100's not $1,000's.  Before I rolled over on 7K I would look into my options.  Make sure there isn't a time limit to dispute the repo etc.  If the attorney smells damages he will do all the work on contingency.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.