Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Average Credit Limit

tag
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

Average Credit Limit

Does a low average credit limit negative affect my credit scores?  Or is it only to the extent that it affects my credit utilization %?

In the "Understanding Your Score" section of my Experian membership, it says this, which I don't believe is correct:

"3. Your average credit card limit is less than $2,000.
Lenders understand that it is much easier to manage a small amount of credit vs. a large amount of credit. Your relatively low credit limits signal to lenders that you have not had experience managing large amounts of credit, which makes them worried about extending more credit to you."

It's always been my understanding that only to the extent that low CLs affect one's credit UTILIZATION do they even matter.

Which is it?

Pigeye

2007 - 2010 low point: mid-500s

With the help of myFICO community, now: 714 EQ FICO

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

Re: Average Credit Limit

My understanding is that it does not reflect your scores.  It does affect how ( some ) lenders view you and their willingness to extend more credit to you. But not your scores. My Son is a good example of this. He has several CC's, all prime lenders with relatively low limits. 1000, 1500, 2000, yet his scores are in the miid to upper 700's. 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 2 of 10
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Pigeyex wrote:

Does a low average credit limit negative affect my credit scores?  Or is it only to the extent that it affects my credit utilization %?

In the "Understanding Your Score" section of my Experian membership, it says this, which I don't believe is correct:

"3. Your average credit card limit is less than $2,000.
Lenders understand that it is much easier to manage a small amount of credit vs. a large amount of credit. Your relatively low credit limits signal to lenders that you have not had experience managing large amounts of credit, which makes them worried about extending more credit to you."

It's always been my understanding that only to the extent that low CLs affect one's credit UTILIZATION do they even matter.

Which is it?

Pigeye

For scoring purposes FICO does not ever look at CL's. It only scores the percentage of available credit being used at any one point in time.

Ignore this EX "advice".

Message 3 of 10
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

OK, thought so.  Thanks guys!

"At the end of every hard-earned day, people find some reason to believe." (Bruce Springsteen)
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

It may not affect your score but how does it look to lenders? I read it as saying some lenders may look at it unfavorably not that it affects your scores. This would show up in a manual review say for a mortgage.

Message 5 of 10
Pigeyex
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

It may not affect your score but how does it look to lenders? I read it as saying some lenders may look at it unfavorably not that it affects your scores. This would show up in a manual review say for a mortgage.

Yeah, except it's on their "Understanding your Score" tab, and it's headed with "Things that May Negatively Affect Your Score."

Message 6 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Pigeyex wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah, except it's on their "Understanding your Score" tab, and it's headed with "Things that May Negatively Affect Your Score."

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water. I would be inclined to think that it's in the wrong section but the advice could well still be valid. Probably worth asking in one of the other forums to see if it has come up on a manual review.

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 8 of 10
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Creditwiser wrote:

My understanding is that it does not reflect your scores.  It does affect how ( some ) lenders view you and their willingness to extend more credit to you. But not your scores. My Son is a good example of this. He has several CC's, all prime lenders with relatively low limits. 1000, 1500, 2000, yet his scores are in the miid to upper 700's. 

I tend to agree with this.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 9 of 10
bk510
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This would depend on your internal score with the lenders.

photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo QS visa_zps7zokw2wl.jpg photo Venture One_zpsigvttrlz.jpg photo Sony Visa_zpsxoradr1b.jpg photo USC Reward_zpslcvjfxmq.jpg photo Penfed Promise_zpsdg1y2dw2.png photo NasaFcu_zpswac3zwcu.jpg photo America_zpsuwx8rzdm.jpg photo LA-Kings-card_zpslbkyeqsz.png photo Barclay_zpslqv3i4tl.jpg photo BBVA_zpsqrhh7omh.jpg
 photo nfcu debit card_zpsprkh98jw.png photo nfcu visa siggy_zps0gjgyxje.png/ photo nfcu goReward card_zpsixhh1qcp.jpg photo sdfcu platinum card_zpspilihdiv.png  photo penfed reward cash_zpsyckxjc7y.png photo alliant visa_zpsaf4udfx0.jpg photo Citi Secured_zpsypzxi0jm.png photo fnbo platinum_zpsxfub6esb.png photo marvel-credit-card_zpsfkvc3ux5.png photo golden 1 CU_zpslhgxynjv.pngBurned AECitiChase
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.