Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBB/CFPB

tag
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

BBB/CFPB

I must say that I have had better success disputing my negative accounts via BBB and CFPB than going through the CRA or directly to the creditors. Its much more effective! I managed to get 3 Portfolio Recovery accounts and one Bloomingdales account deleted in less than a month, and my fico score increased 64 points! Had I not discovered this board, it most likely would not have happened! :-)

Starting Score: 467 EQ 514 TU 583 EX
Current Score: 531 EQ 567 TU 601 EX
Goal Score: EQ 742 TU 742 EX 742

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
alienfico
Frequent Contributor

Re: BBB/CFPB

Congrats!!!  I have three complaints in with the CFPB I am hoping for some success as well.  

I agree with you, all that the CRA do is update the status or mark it as a dispute.  Although I do have to say that TransUnion is by far my fave CRA - after my complaint,

they just deleted the accounts in question.   I haven't used the BBB yet, I hope I don't have to.

Starting: TU:515, EX:521, EQ:528
Current: TU:700 EX:706 EQ:674
FICO Goal: 725
Cap1 Venture $11,000AU, First Progress $500, Cap1 QS $1750, FH$600, Open Sky $300, Cap1 $500, BestBuy $1500 Target $1800
Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Stupid question but I am new and trying to learn more. What is CFPB? Couldn't find it in the common abb. thread. Also, what type of letter is used for this, same as for the BBB?  Thank you.

Message 3 of 11
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

No question is a stupid question. CFPB is the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (you can google it for more info).

For example, if you dispute an account or request validation and the creditor/collection agency does not respond or does not properly validate, you can escalate it to the CFPB/BBB, and they usually help to get it resolved. There no general type of letter; you would just inform them of your issue and attach any supporting documents that you may have. They forward that information to the creditor/collection agency for their response. So far it has worked in my favor. Hope this helps. :-)

Message 4 of 11
jacksont1981
Frequent Contributor

I have been trying to get Verizon Wireless to delete an account from my credit reports. This is a second account I opened with them for a family member. Needless to say I got burned in the end and now trying to get rid of it. I still have my original open account with them and they still wont budge. Should I try a CFPB complaint next? I am willing to do just about anything to get them removed. The account is paid in full but I still want it gone from my reports. 

Started 6/2014 EX 594 EQ 617 TU 580 FICO's Goal is 740's and up
Message 5 of 11
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

It definitely wouldn't hurt to try, especially since it's paid in full. I had success getting a Bloomingdale's account removed through CFPB.

Message 6 of 11
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

I apologize for bumping an old thread but what would be the proper process in filing a complaint through the BBB. Must I contact the original creditor and or CA's and build up a paper trail before contacting the BBB?

Message 7 of 11
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

Yes, go through through the OC or CA, and if you are unable to get any results, escalate to BBB. you have the option to upload documents of you have supporting info.

Message 8 of 11
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much, I greatly appreciate your help.

Message 9 of 11
Amleigh
Regular Contributor

No problem! They helped me with two collections in the past two weeks. The creditors marked them both to be removed. Best of luck to you!

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.