Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BBB response

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBB response

I submitted a BBB complaint against Penn credit collection agency due to them not removing the item that they said they would. Below is the response:

MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS:
I have reviewed and investigated the complaint. Penn Credit did send a deletion record on March 12, 2015. The credit bureaus didn’t update. I sent in an deletion request through E-Oscar. Please allow 30 days for the update. If Ms. Carter should have any additonal questions please have her contact Thomas Perrotta, Vice President direclty toll free (Mod Cut-Direct contact info isnt allowed in the public forum). Thank you for your assistance in the resolution of this matter

My question is, if for some reason they don't delete. Is their response sufficient enough to submit to the CRAs to get it removed?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: BBB response

@Anonymous wrote:

I submitted a BBB complaint against Penn credit collection agency due to them not removing the item that they said they would. Below is the response:

MESSAGE FROM BUSINESS:
I have reviewed and investigated the complaint. Penn Credit did send a deletion record on March 12, 2015. The credit bureaus didn’t update. I sent in an deletion request through E-Oscar. Please allow 30 days for the update. If Ms. Carter should have any additonal questions please have her contact Thomas Perrotta, Vice President direclty toll free (Mod Cut-Direct contact info isnt allowed in the public forum). Thank you for your assistance in the resolution of this matter

My question is, if for some reason they don't delete. Is their response sufficient enough to submit to the CRAs to get it removed?

IMO yes and its good that theres no reference to a PFD.

Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In my opinion, no.

Deletion based on payment of a debt is conttrary to CRA reporting policy.

Their agreement was part of a PFD negotiation, and the BBB complaint was based on that negotiation.

Asking them to delete would be asking them to treat the reporting in a manner contrary to their own policy.

It might also jeopardize the debt collector's credit reporting agrement with the CRAs.

It would be resolvable via a breach of contract civil action.

I would not involve the CRAs in resolution of the matter.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

But there was nothing stating it was a PFD in their statement, only that they had submitted for deletion.
Message 4 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Documentation to support a dispute would involve the factual issues..........

Message 5 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

In my opinion, no.

Deletion based on payment of a debt is conttrary to CRA reporting policy.

Their agreement was part of a PFD negotiation, and the BBB complaint was based on that negotiation.

Asking them to delete would be asking them to treat the reporting in a manner contrary to their own policy.

It might also jeopardize the debt collector's credit reporting agrement with the CRAs.

It would be resolvable via a breach of contract civil action.

I would not involve the CRAs in resolution of the matter.

This is no longer true.  I have talked to many U.S. reps from all three CRA's.  In TU's case, I told them it was an agreement, but I was supposed to dispute.  TU asked for date and name of agent, gone in one week.  EQ and EX are aware of these agreements.  The collector can remove an account for any reason.  It's places like PRA, etc, that cause this confusion.  

It costs money to remove an item, just like it costs money to place an item.  Argon told me (since debt was old, and I was paying in full plus fees) that they would waive the CRA removal fee.  RCI told me to just dispute, since they would not fight (and they lived up to word, but only made little money, since I did not owe many of the debts).  NCO was just so dang friendly.  NONE of the CRA's had a problem with these early removals.  Others got bunked due to law, or misrepresentation of data.  

Collectors under the Sherman Group, PRA, and Midland, use that excuse because the large amounts of deletions would cut into profits, and these guys are publicly traded, vs the mom and pop collectors I dealt with.  Took CFPB and continued fdcpa violations to get PRA out of there, account closed, and no more selling.

The CRA's do not care, they make more money if it's removed, after it was placed (bet PRA and Midland get pretty good deals, but their contracts are not only for reporting, but also repayment, judgement success, skip tracing, et al).  What we miss here, Robert, is there is no law saying an item can not be removed.  In fact, consumer laws are changing for the better, if paid, removal soon or almost instantaneous in some states.

Signature needs updating
Message 6 of 7
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
But there was nothing stating it was a PFD in their statement, only that they had submitted for deletion.

Don't worry, use the documentation.

Signature needs updating
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.