Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BEST REBUILDING TIPS!!! QUICK

tag
DE2TX
Established Member

Re: BEST REBUILDING TIPS!!! QUICK

@EW800 wrote:

Can I get some opinions on the bullet point below, which was mentioned above...

--  If you have collections, charge offs, inaccurate information on your report DISPUTE DISPUTE DISPUTE

I have a credit card account with Chase that was Settled for Less  Than Full Balance.  It has not even crossed my mind to dispute it, as I figured there was no chance of it coming off (or staying off) and I also do not want to risk doing anything that could possibly make anything worse somehow.  

How do some of you feel about disputing something like this?  Is it good advice?  Is it a risky move?  

Thanks much,  

This forum doesn't advocate or allow talking about disputes. Generally though, the worst thing that can happen is the tradeline gets verified and updated. The success really depends on the details and we aren't allowed to go into that here.

Message 21 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice one sir, kindly send me a copy of the dispute letters.cheersSmiley Happy

Message 22 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DE2TX wrote:

This forum doesn't advocate or allow talking about disputes. Generally though, the worst thing that can happen is the tradeline gets verified and updated. The success really depends on the details and "we aren't allowed to go into that here." <<<--------- Why is this?

Message 23 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea I'm wondering the same thing.....clearly disputing is something that is allowed....it says it on your credit report that you can dispute errors..... So why isn't it allowed to be discussed in here!?!
Message 24 of 35
DE2TX
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Yea I'm wondering the same thing.....clearly disputing is something that is allowed....it says it on your credit report that you can dispute errors..... So why isn't it allowed to be discussed in here!?!

Legally, yes. Everyone has the right to dispute anything on their credit report and it is up to the CRA's/OC's to prove it is accurate, but this is a private forum and the owners get to set the TOS. My guess is MyFico is owned by Fair Isaac and they don't want people knowing how to get things off their report. Who knows really. The reason I pointed out this forum's policy on disputes is you generally won't get unbiased advice when the medium doesn't even allow free speech. So, people could say "No, disputing is risky, don't ever do it", but when the opposing view is silenced you won't ever get the big picture. It's almost like if you went on a forum asking for criminal legal advice and people told you to just confess because the TOS forbid people from telling you that you can fight the accusation.

Message 25 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DE2TX wrote:

Legally, yes. Everyone has the right to dispute anything on their credit report and it is up to the CRA's/OC's to prove it is accurate, but this is a private forum and the owners get to set the TOS. My guess is MyFico is owned by Fair Isaac and they don't want people knowing how to get things off their report. Who knows really. The reason I pointed out this forum's policy on disputes is you generally won't get unbiased advice when the medium doesn't even allow free speech. So, people could say "No, disputing is risky, don't ever do it", but when the opposing view is silenced you won't ever get the big picture. It's almost like if you went on a forum asking for criminal legal advice and people told you to just confess because the TOS forbid people from telling you that you can fight the accusation.

DE2TX, that wasn't meant to put you on the spot at all, and sincere apologies if that's the way it seemed. 

Message 26 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DE2TX wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually there is no prohibition about discussing *valid* disputes. What is NOT RECOMMENDED by the community is the disputing of ACCURATE INFO, that is to say disputing 'just because its there'.

Message 27 of 35
DE2TX
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

@DE2TX wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually there is no prohibition about discussing *valid* disputes. What is NOT RECOMMENDED by the community is the disputing of ACCURATE INFO, that is to say disputing 'just because its there'.

Must be why I get shut down when I tell people they can dispute things, even inaccurate things. By the by, it's one thing to not recommend something and another to ban speaking about it altogether. I prefer freedom of speech, information, and general discourse.  Hence, my displeasure for this forum's policy. I can abide by the ban, but I don't have to like it and I am not prohibited from talking about it... Unless the free speech ban extends further than I originally thought that is.

Like I said, "It's almost like if you went on a forum asking for criminal legal advice and people told you to just confess because the TOS forbid people from telling you that you can fight the accusation."

Cheers!

Message 28 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Funny how no moderator has come into this thread to 'shut you down', despite having discussed the subject at length.

If someone were to ask me about 'criminal legal advice' the first thing I would ask them is 'did you actually do what you are accused of?', because the answer to that may be pertinant to how you might proceed. Same thing here. Disputing inaccurate information is advised AND recommended here - thats what the dispute process is for. OTOH disputing *accurate* info is not advised and discouraged here as its considered an abuse of the dispute process. Why is that such a difficult thing to understand and accept? Do you not get that the creators of FICO believe their scores derive their value from being generated from "accurate" information, and it would be perfectly understandable that they would not advocate the removal of accurate information via a process intended to ONLY remove inaccurate information?

Now, I *do* have my own issues with the belief that prior behavior is an accurate predictor of future behavor, but thats a different subject entirely. I have no issue whatsoever with the owners of this site (FairIsaac) *not* wanting people to discuss what they consider to be unacceptable and unethical methods of removing accurate information from ones files.

"Free Speech", BTW means freedom from *government* controls, not private controls in a privately owned forum.

Message 29 of 35
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Dated (old) negative information (60 days or less) has done its damage and is likely not hurting as much.  At times, the record is so old that it "helps" by giving you a higher AAoA.  When you dispute this kind of TL for an inaccuracy, if it is verified, it can tank your scores because it looks new to MF.  If it is deleted, sometimes it can still cost you points because your AAoA drops.  (As always, a clean report is better than a dirty one and easier and faster to build a good score.)

Always keep in mind the law of unintended consequences when you choose to dispute a TL.

I had a mortgage that was different on each CRA.  I disputed the history for being inaccurate.  They verified on 2 and then ADDED twice as many lates as there were on TU!  Disputed again and rinse and repeat.  Soon, TU had more lates than the number of months in the loan and the lates even preceeded the inception of the loan!  It was finally fixed (one 30 day late on each bureau and in the same month) after 9 months of doing battle with the mortgage company!

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 30 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.