Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BMWFS reporting error

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

BMWFS reporting error

I had a repo from BMWFS back in 2010, they had errors in reporting, when I disputed them they reaged the account making seem as if the loan was past due 120 days as of oct 2014, and current as if may 2014. I filed a complaint with the Consumer protection bureeu. They responded with a letter acnkonledging they may mistake in report date of first deliquency, amount owed, date of reposession, and current status and stated they would correct those mistakes. But they didn't provide me with final accounting of the repo as requested.  I would really like them to delete this tradeline as it prevented me from getting a new car loan because it showed recently repoed.  Should I call them directly and ask them to delete the tradline? Does the FCRA provide fines for such reporting errprs?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: BMWFS reporting error

Deletion of prior reporting is only required if the disputed information was not corrected or verified as accurate.

They must complete their reinvestigatin within 30 days, and send a notice of results of reinvestigation within 5 business days thereafter.

The FCRA does not fine parties for inaccurate reporting.  Human error is inevitable.

The FCRA provides dispute processes to get information corrrected, not to fine parties who make legitimate errors.

The disptue procedures provide a process to make them aware of inaccuracies, and a period of 30ísh days to corrrect.

Final accounting of a repo would appear to be an issue under your state statutes and regs as opposed to any requirment of the FCRA.

Was the amount of the debt a specific inaccuracy asserted in your dispute?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BMWFS reporting error

Thanks for the reply. Yes, in my original correspondence with BMWFS I asked for final accounting of the repo. When they didn't respond 45 days later. I filed a complaint with the Consumer financial proection bureau, around this same time they made the reporting "errors" and my score tanked.  There response has been to acknowledge there mistakes and correct them (pending update with the CRA).   However, they didn't respond to my request for final accounting of the repo, auction sale prices, tow fees, storage, etc.  It was a voluntary repo, it reports as involuntary ( i know that doesn' make a difference for score purposes).

thanks for your help

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.