Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA Slapped Me with 4 Inquiry Fingers.

tag
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

BOA Slapped Me with 4 Inquiry Fingers.

Bank of America does not want me to be their cardholder, I know for sure now.  I blame myself for failing to realize that once upon a time, the MBNA card I burned back in college belonged to them after some quiet acquisition.  I've been banking with them for over 7 years now, and thought I'd take the plunge and apply for a 1-2-3 card.  I got denied. I then tried for a secured card with a branch rep.  Got denied again.  When I looked at my reports, they had pulled Experian and then checked TransUnion.  I called for a recon, and was sent a letter days later asking me to give them a call.  When I did, they wanted verification on the phone number on my fraud alert file, but warned that it would generate another hard pull.  At that point I said my thank yous and bid them farewell-I would not subject myself to yet another hard pull with no guarantee in the end that victory would be mine.

This morning, whilst in the midst of trying to get myFICO on the line with me, I decided to call back using a number a kindly forum member gave from another thread.  The young woman I spoke with was knowledgable and personable, and she explained why it would generate a hard pull either way I went, be it secured or not.  I sighed, bit the bullet, and told her to run it through again as unsecured, now that my information was up to date.  The results came back the same, no deal.  This time though, she cited the reasons instead of stating the usual "they will be in your letter" bravado, and interestingly, she inquired about my MBNA account that had long fallen off my reports but was still there for her to see internally (so yes, these banks do remember it all). My score, however, was up from 623 to 716 with Experian based on their pull.

I had high hopes that I could build up credit without going secured or the Cap One route.  US Bank offered me an unsecured Flexperks card with a 2K limit back in June, and while it's helping, it's too small to make a big impact. My first month utilization was at 26%, and this month it's at 14%. I've been paying in full before the statement cuts. 

I need at least one more.  I keep looking at 2 particular store cards as the alternative answer but I do not know if they will really help or hurt me. 

Starting Score: EX 651/EQ 654/TU 668
Current Score: 735/721/732
Goal Score: 751 as lowest score by 8MAY15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
goosedog
Regular Contributor

Re: BOA Slapped Me with 4 Inquiry Fingers.

iF your score is that high, I would apply for the WALMART card. Just that card, nothing else and see what happens and report back here.

Message 2 of 5
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Thank you Goosedog. Walmart card (mulls it over).  I don't have a Walmart nearby so I don't usually shop there.  I make the trip to one every July for back to school supplies and  on Black Friday though to grab the Bluray and games deals they have.

Your Chase Freedom-is it a good option to look into?  I never burned a Chase CC (checking account I did 3 times).

Message 3 of 5
HiLine
Blogger

Sorry to hear your unsuccessful story. Why do you think you'd need a second secured card? What does the rest of your credit profile look like? If you're in the building process, inquiries won't matter much since you'll be gardening for at least 6 months anyway.

Message 4 of 5
ForumPheen
Regular Contributor

Hey HiLine, the backdoor was unsuccessful Smiley Sad. Initially I thought I'd need a secured card, but when US Bank gave me an unsecured one, I decided to halt obtaining a secured BOA. (I had first applied after trying for an unsecured BOA). I just need another unsecured revolver. 

As of right now, I have one revolving line with US Bank with a 2k limit, a Saks card with a 1400 limit, and a car (lease) payment at 22K total and student loan debt at 53k total. I wish I knew my scores if MYFICO would release them to me (see other thread about my frustration with them). But BOA told me my Experian score was 716 as of yesterday's attempt, and Experian has always been my lowest of the 3.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.