cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA declined me of a secured credit card...... now what?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: BOA declined me of a secured credit card...... now what?

@gymbo731 wrote:
Get an Orchard Bank Secured card. They report to all 3 CRA. Plus I think the first year its 0% APR, and the annual fee is waved. Check it out! I have one and I love it! Very easy approval.

I have to agree. Orchard has been a very good rebuilder for me. They are a major bank and report to all 3 CRAs My interactions with them have found them to be very professional.

CB

Message 11 of 28
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

Did you try Orchard Bank?  They gave me a $350 credit line and the fee was only $19.  Go on the website they have a pre-approval process that's not a hard inquiry. 
11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 12 of 28
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

Oh my credit score was only in the 500's and they pulled Transunion.
Message 13 of 28
gymbo731
Regular Contributor

@newstart2010 wrote:
oh, and if you got denied by BofA with past delinquencies you might get denied by orchard bank.

I have an unpaid judgment against me, 3 accounts that are closed CO's, one account still isn't paid. Another account that is open with 90 day lates in there, and I still got approved for an orchard bank secured card. You really should think about doing it. Like I said, I have an account with them, and they do report to all three credit agencies.  They will also check your credit before you even fully apply. So you won't have a ding on your credit report if you are denied.

Starting Score: 640
Current Score: 744
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 28
newstart2010
Blogger

@gymbo731 wrote:

@newstart2010 wrote:
oh, and if you got denied by BofA with past delinquencies you might get denied by orchard bank.

I have an unpaid judgment against me, 3 accounts that are closed CO's, one account still isn't paid. Another account that is open with 90 day lates in there, and I still got approved for an orchard bank secured card. You really should think about doing it. Like I said, I have an account with them, and they do report to all three credit agencies.  They will also check your credit before you even fully apply. So you won't have a ding on your credit report if you are denied.

if they check your credit, you have an inquiry.  saying they check but you don't get an inquiry is false.  there is no way to do that.

and they have been denying people, both BofA and Orchard lately.  Rather than go for something he might get denied for again, he should go for something that will be guaranteed.  that way he does not risk an unneeded inquiry with no open trade line to show for it.

Some credit union secured cards don't even check credit.  they don't care.  as long as you give them cash, they give yo uthe credit.  if you are a military member, or are related to one, i suggest NFCU or the pilot program that USAA has going.

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 15 of 28
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

^ I don't agree with this Orchard Bank has a pre-approval credit card selection process where you won't have an inquiry on your credit report unless you actually apply for the credit card.  You input basic info and it pulls the credit cards that you may be able to get approved for and then it gives you a list of cards to chose from and at that point you are able to read through the terms of each card and select which one you want to apply for.  I have done this without a single inquiry on my credit report.
Message 16 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

guys I really do appreciate your help & advice more than you all know... Like I said, I wished I would have found this site years ago. Heck I wished I would have read more about how credit works, years ago...... I never actually thought there were any way to improve dinged up credit except by doing right by existing loans and waiting years for negatives to come off the reports. Little did i know about disputing , good will letters, Debt validation letters, etc.

I always thought.. hey if I dont have a bunch of credit card that would be better.... Never knew that an actually credit card or two could improve my credit in a short amount of time (if used wisely that is).

With all that being said.... my score is low enough already.  I have already inquired about 2 BofA cards. First one was the BankAmericard. Rep online talked me into applying for that one.... Was denied. Now about a week ago I applied for the secured card from BofA, with the thought that there would be no way I would get denied for this one, since I am giving them the money to loan me. Well I got denied for that one as well. 2 strikes so far. I am not willing to go 3 strikes. I have been thinking of going to my own credit union... I have only been a member there for a couple months now, and they also told me over the phone that People actually can be denied for their secured card as well. 

This sucks... I have disputed a few items on my credit reports and found out today that 3 accounts on my Transunion Credit Report were deleted due to the disputes. Have not got the results yet for Experian and Equifax. Should be complete by the 02/23/2010. 

sure thought I was on my way to cleaning up my credit report when I got my new secured card from BofA, and continuing to clear up unpaid collections on my report. I know its not gonna happen over night... and I was not expecting it to. But it sure has been a smack in the face to be denied a secured card! My fault though. I have to deal with it.

I think what I prolly should do, is just continue to work with my creditors and collections..... clear up the negative on my report, then try again at the secured card.

What you guys think?

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@benben7 wrote:

Hi Bmull, Where do you live? Look up Intouch Credit Union? If they are in your area you can sign up for an account and get a secured credit from them.

I am in South Carolina......Doesn't look like I have an option with these guys..... Thanks anyway.

Message 18 of 28
benben7
Regular Contributor

Hello Bmull,

Don't give up. On monday I want you to call  USAA. They have a secured credit card program. They have many services but you won't qualify some of these if a you or a family member was not a member or military. My father was in the military but I'n not sure if he was a member or not. But I was able to join anyway. It cost 50.00 (25 for checking and 25  for saving) Everything was done over the phone and very easy. I asked about the secured credit card program and my rep transfered me to them. I spoke with the rep and a packet is on it's was to me. This may work for you as well. Give it a try on monday and let us know how it works out for you. Your deposit will be placed in a interest bearing CD for 2 years. 

benben7 

Starting Score: TU 675 EX 643
Current Score: TU 702 EX 677
Goal Score: TU 730 EX 730

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

@benben7 wrote:

Hello Bmull,

Don't give up. On monday I want you to call  USAA. They have a secured credit card program. They have many services but you won't qualify some of these if a you or a family member was not a member or military. My father was in the military but I'n not sure if he was a member or not. But I was able to join anyway. It cost 50.00 (25 for checking and 25  for saving) Everything was done over the phone and very easy. I asked about the secured credit card program and my rep transfered me to them. I spoke with the rep and a packet is on it's was to me. This may work for you as well. Give it a try on monday and let us know how it works out for you. Your deposit will be placed in a interest bearing CD for 2 years. 

benben7 

thanks benben7! my dad retired from Army after nearly 21 years of service.... but I do not believe he was a member of this bank. He passed away in 06/2002.... so not sure if I would be able to qualify for this.

Thanks

Message 20 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.