Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BOA

tag
QueenJ
Regular Contributor

BOA

Hello

I had an account with BOA.  Account went bad i believe it was a charge off.  I had automatic payments set up, then it fell off my credit and i switch banks so no more payments.  About 4 months go by and now i have received a letter and a message from a debt collection agency.  What advice do you guys have for my situation? any do's and don't?

Thank you

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Re: BOA

What does the letter say?

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 2 of 22
QueenJ
Regular Contributor

The letter states how much i owe and they give me 4 payment options.

Thank you

Message 3 of 22
QueenJ
Regular Contributor

Also if i start paying this new company will that allow them to put it back on my credit report?

Message 4 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

My experience with BoA charge off was debt was in collection agency but they still owned the account. You can pay BoA or the agency. I paid mines thru BoA after charge off in full. They will only take full payment. They will not PFD. i would try calling bank and explain since it's new but most likely you will have to GW them to get it deleted.
Message 5 of 22
QueenJ
Regular Contributor

Actually it was with BOA then another collection agency took it.  It was charged off and this year made the 7 years mark it fell off my credit reports.  Few months after falling off now a new collection agency has it enterprise something.  Currently its not on any of my credit reports.

Thank you

Message 6 of 22
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@QueenJ - Whether you pay them or not, they can still legally put the collection on your credit reports. You can call & ask if paying them, using one of the four payment options listed in the letter, would keep it off your credit reports. Who's the specific collection agency?

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 7 of 22
QueenJ
Regular Contributor

The collection agency is enterprise recovery systems.  So even tho the 7 years have passed they can put it back on my credit report? argggg.  i was going to call them but wasnt sure by me calling if it would do any damage.

Thank you

Message 8 of 22
RootDet
Established Contributor

From a creditor standpoint, since the account was not deliquent for a full seven years, they can report it.  By making payment toward the debt, you effectively restarted the clock to be 7 years from your last deliqency. 

You kind of got lucky the account fell off the report while you were paying on it. 

Another thing with collections agencies, always communicate in writting. It will help you in the long term!. 

Message 9 of 22
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Collections are removed seven years from the date of your first missed payment from your credit report. Your first post makes it sound like you were paying, switched banks and stopped paying. Then four months later you got the letter. Exactly how long ago did you have this account? Depending on your state, there's a statue of limitations (SOL) to how many years they can sue you in court to collect on the debt. After that point, the debt will fall off your credit report seven years from the date of the first missed payment. Collection agencies can send you letters to get money out of you for the debt, but you're technically not obligated to pay it BUT they can put it on your credit report. Please clarify your credit time line, thanks!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.