Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back to THIS forum to give hope

tag
nuggets321
Frequent Contributor

Back to THIS forum to give hope

Well , about 18mos ago, (I think) I ended up in this very forum with very similar situations to alot of the posters on this board. I try and come back every time that I reach a "milestone" for myself , I like to share , not to brag, but rather to give hope to those who think that you cannot  do it. YOU CAN ! I myself, put my nose to the grindstone and got those "baddies" off of my reports and started again. I followed a TON of advice from posters on this forum and it has worked out great ! I started with NOT A SINGLE positive item on any bureau and a mid 500's score. Well, fastforward from late 2010 to August 2012 when I took home a brand new 2012 Toyota 4runner for about $35,000 with ZERO$ down. The cards in the signature line have all been achieved over the last 18 mos. Only change I would make would be NOT to have accumulated so many in a short period of time.... remember its a marathon not a sprint  Smiley Happy

TU-721 (MortgagePull) EQ- 697(MortgagePull ) EXP 693(MortgagePull) FWEB 24,2015
My Wallet : Dicover More 35,500 CL -Amex Zync NPSL -WellsFargoRewards4800 - -CapOne 3000CL -GEMBWalMart 5000CL - Zales 4000CL-Kays 2900--Macys 5000CL /SSFCU 5000CL / CitiBank Diamond Pref 15000CL - CHASE Freedom 13500CL -Lowes 10,000 CL - BBuyStoreCard 10,000CL Sears Store Card (Citi) 3000 - Firestone CFNB 1400 Toyota Financial $35,000 Auto -2200DiscountTire(GECRB) Citi TY Preferred 8100CL - Chase Slate$4000-BofA15000-ToyotaRewardsVisa$10,700 -BofA$8500 AMEX BCE 9,500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Back to THIS forum to give hope

Love success stories!!!   Congrats.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 6
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Great success, but putting zero down on a vehicle purchase is about the worst thing you can do.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 6
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@mtrsprt wrote:

Great success, but putting zero down on a vehicle purchase is about the worst thing you can do.

not always. If they have the 0% APR offer (and you qualify for both the 0 down and 0 apr). Then it would make more financial sense to keep that money in a bank account earning some interest while your paying none and then each month take the money you would put towards a down payment and add that to your monthly payment.

But then again thats really only if you qualify and they are offering/allowing both of those options.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 4 of 6
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

@scarrollprint wrote:

@mtrsprt wrote:

not always. If they have the 0% APR offer (and you qualify for both the 0 down and 0 apr). Then it would make more financial sense to keep that money in a bank account earning some interest while your paying none and then each month take the money you would put towards a down payment and add that to your monthly payment.

But then again thats really only if you qualify and they are offering/allowing both of those options.

The number of qualifying buyers to be awarded 0% financing, is about 2%. Also, to recieve 0% after you qualify, you most usually have to finance the term for no longer than 36 months, OR have a 25-30% down payment.

Putting zero down on a new car purchase, that you will take to 50% of the term or longer, is a good way to pretty much go instantly upside down.  My brother is a finance manager at a very large volume dealership.  He has shown me the best and worst ways to purchase/finance vehicles over the past 20 years.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

@mtrsprt wrote:

The number of qualifying buyers to be awarded 0% financing, is about 2%. Also, to recieve 0% after you qualify, you most usually have to finance the term for no longer than 36 months, OR have a 25-30% down payment.

Putting zero down on a new car purchase, that you will take to 50% of the term or longer, is a good way to pretty much go instantly upside down.  My brother is a finance manager at a very large volume dealership.  He has shown me the best and worst ways to purchase/finance vehicles over the past 20 years.

If one can swing the loan into 36 month payments and qualifies I see no reason not to do so.

I never said it was always the right choice, just said if the stars aligned it would make sense.

30k car would be payments of $833.33/month If you can swing that much on a car payment (say if you make $150K a year that wouldn't be a stretch depenidng on your other spending habits) it would make more sense to take the 20% ($6000) and put it in a high yeild savings account  (mine gets 1.75%) and not touch it for a year that would grant you an extra $105 there. then after that you can use that money towards your payments - that 6k would be about 7 months payments.

I'm not trying to be argumentive, just trying to prove that your blanket statement isn't always true for everyone.

Yes not everyone qualifies - and yes not every one makes over 150k a year but there are some in which that is the case.

My father is one who has imppecable credit and has no bills other tahn food/gas/taxes/utilites and he bought a car using the 0%apr and 0 down but then again he made well 150K and had the intentions of paying 100% cash for the vehicle but instead put the money in the bank so it could earn interest and just made payments out of that account.

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.