Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Baddies help

tag
hayhayhayday
Established Member

Baddies help

Been trying to clear up credit recently.

Report currently has

Bad

CO 7/12 credit one $0 transferred\sold

CO 6/12 Discover $12xx

CO 9/12 GCRB Chevron $7xx

CA 3/13 LVNV for credit one $6xx sent dv a few weeks ago

Good

5 AU w\ 5-25k limits and low balances 

7 closed good standing cards from 2008-2010

1/09 Cap1 $700 $0 bal

12/12 10 Comnity Store cards 300-700 but dont report (just one green box in 12/12)

1/14 Cap1 $500 $0 bal

EX Fico 08 595

Questions:

1. I received a settlement from a ca assigned by discover to settle for 40%, they say they will report as settled for less than balance. Should I accept this offer, will it stop discover from reporting CO every month? I have not dv them because debt is still owned by discover so not sure if I can.

2. Should I try to settle GECRB as it looks like its still owened by gecrb to prevent ca from coming later.

3. At this point would it be useful to open a few secured cards? Thinking about BofA and US Bank since they say they unsecure eventually could put down 1-2k for these to help get higher limits on report.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Baddies help

1.  You can send a DV to any debt collector, whether they are only an assigned collection agent or own the debt.

Howver, you only have 30 days from date of their dunning notice for your DV to invoke a cease collection bar.

They have no time period or requirement to provide debt validation, even if the DV is timely, provided they dont continue active collection.

If your DV would now be untimely, it invokes no cease collection bar, so they could choose to ignore it.

Is the debt legit/

As to whether to accept their settlement offer, that is a personal choice.  It will satisfy the debt, and thus terminate further collection, and will require them to report that the colletion is closed, with $0 balance.  They have the option to also report that it was settled for less, but you sitll have a satisfied debt.

That might be a pre-condition, for example, should you apply for a mortgage.

2.Always best not to have an additional collection reporting.  However, many OCs will sell a debt shortly after a charge-off, so you might contact tjem and make sure they still own the debt.  If they have sold it, you cannot pay them.

3. If you qualify for the secured cards, opeing them sooner will get a open date that will give a better AAoA than if opened later.

However, if unsure of approval, then the hard pulls assoiated with the app process could do harm.

Message 2 of 4
virgo
Established Contributor

I find it interesting that Credit One can report that it is transferred/sold when both Credit One and LVNV are owned by Sherman Financial Group and do business from the same address in Las Vegas.  LVNV stands for Las Vegas Nevada.

Dont get me wrong, they are entitled to collect on a debt, but to make it appear that they are taking a loss by selling or transferring the debt seems a bit on the fraudulent side.

Also, if both are reporting, woudnt that be considered duplicate reporting?  LVNV is not a subsidiary, it is owened and operatedby the same man who ows and operates SFG Inc.  

If you were to go after LVNV, you would direct everything to Mr.  Xxx xxxxxxx,  SFG, Inc.

Been there, done it.

Message 3 of 4
hayhayhayday
Established Member

Will see what dv from lvnv says I guess.

Re settling discover does reporting closed and $0 balance mean they wont report co every month and it will get old\ hurt score less with time?

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.