Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance Chased - to PIF or not to PIF

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance Chased - to PIF or not to PIF

From 83% util last month, I'm geting close to 40% (still waiting for cards to report).

The dilema: I can stretch and pay another $4,000 - that is another 10% of my overall util and bring one of the BofA cards I have to $0.

This is using the LOC which I can pay in full before it closes. 

Doing that will bring the overall util to 30%.

However, there is a good chance that BofA will balance chase me (they lowered my limit already once last month) if I PIF the card.

So, should I strech and to to 30%? or stay at 40%?

I hope this month to get close to 700.

Cards: 

Current Balance

Limit

Amex (Costco)

$2,300

$5,000

BOAM Visa 1

$5,700

$6,000

BOAM Visa 2

$4,000

$5,200

BOAM (AAA)

$0

$500

Comenity (BJs)

$0

$1,030

USalliance CU (LOC)

$44

$12,000

$12,044

$29,730

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance Chased - to PIF or not to PIF

I'd stretch to get it to 30%... As low as possible is always the best.

Message 2 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are you planning to apply for new credit in the near future?

If not, you may want to include a financially-based analysis of where to prioritize your payments, which could result in a decision to pay a given card that has high interest as opposed to high % util.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Main issue I see is too much debt. Get it to below 10% across the board, and let it report that way for a couple of months in a row. That will help your credit profile far more than a boost to 700 next month. Scores aren't everything.

Even if you have to stretch out payments over a few months (to avoid taking on more debt elsewhere), and possibly get CLDed by BofA in the meantime / scores remaining depressed, that better than contining to revolve that debt month after month.

After a couple of months of sub-10% reporting, apply for another card or maybe even two - it will reduce the impact of CLDs going forward. As it stands now, you could easily lose much of your credit line - too many eggs in one basket.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Main issue I see is too much debt. Get it to below 10% across the board, and let it report that way for a couple of months in a row. That will help your credit profile far more than a boost to 700 next month. Scores aren't everything.

Even if you have to stretch out payments over a few months (to avoid taking on more debt elsewhere), and possibly get CLDed by BofA in the meantime / scores remaining depressed, that better than contining to revolve that debt month after month.

After a couple of months of sub-10% reporting, apply for another card or maybe even two - it will reduce the impact of CLDs going forward. As it stands now, you could easily lose much of your credit line - too many eggs in one basket.

Sub 10% is impossible right now, but can try sub 30% and see what holds. Even if I get CLD by BofA I believe I'll still be at 32%, so that is way better thatn the 83% I had last month.

If I understand correctly, you recommend to PIF even if it is followed by a CLD, I think I'll PIF one card and do min X 3 on the other. 

I want to apply for a CC with my CU after the cards report lower balances and see if I'm approved, if yes I'll BT the BofA cards all together. Than I can wait and see when to apply for another card. 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone for your feedback, I was able to get just below 20% and got over 700 on all CRAs:

EQ: 721

TU: 702

EX: 733 (was even up to 749 before my new car lease reported and dropped it by 16 points).

TU still waiting for one card to report so will get higher.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.