cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance on closed CC dropped form $7 to $0, guess what Equifax did?

tag
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

Balance on closed CC dropped form $7 to $0, guess what Equifax did?

Those losers at Equifax dropped my score 10pts after a recent balance update from $7 to $0.  Equifax is by far the worst CRA I've dealt with.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance on closed CC dropped form $7 to $0, guess what Equifax did?

@tjmolly wrote:

Those losers at Equifax dropped my score 10pts after a recent balance update from $7 to $0.  Equifax is by far the worst CRA I've dealt with.

A scoring reduction for a balance to $0 is often expected (not always, since some balances reporting $0 can be beneficial; just not all of them) with various FICO scoring models (ie. FICO 8), which Equifax uses under license. Think of a credit score being more akin to a debt score, and it makes more sense why the scoring behaves that way.

Message 2 of 8
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

I guess I'll just run up some debt then. 

@Anonymous wrote:

@tjmolly wrote:

A scoring reduction for a balance to $0 is often expected (not always, since some balances reporting $0 can be beneficial; just not all of them) with various FICO scoring models (ie. FICO 8), which Equifax uses under license. Think of a credit score being more akin to a debt score, and it makes more sense why the scoring behaves that way.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Running up some debt is exactly what they want you to do.  If you don't have a mortgage, a vehicle loan and some credit card debt reporting, you're not going to have a perfect score.

Message 4 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If it is a closed revolving account, once the balance reaches $0, it is no longer included in your % util scoring.

EQ only recorded the updated balance.  FICO then did the scoring.

FICO discontinued inclusion of the account, including its CL, in your % util calculation once it is closed and paid.

More specifically, you lost the inclusion of the account CL as part of the sum of all CL's in the denominator........

Message 5 of 8
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

Actually it was an open Capital one card with a $2K limit.  So it should help my overall debt/limit ratios.  I have a mortgage, i have installement debt (personal loan and car loan), all on time payments.  I also have a Lowes card, $0 bal with $5500 limit.  I have Discover $170bal/$9400CL.  I can't figure it out!

@RobertEG wrote:

If it is a closed revolving account, once the balance reaches $0, it is no longer included in your % util scoring.

FICO discontinued inclusion of the account, including its CL, in your % util calculation once it is closed and paid.

More specifically, you lost the inclusion of the account CL as part of the sum of all CL's in the denominator........

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tjmolly wrote:

Actually it was an open Capital one card with a $2K limit.  So it should help my overall debt/limit ratios.  I have a mortgage, i have installement debt (personal loan and car loan), all on time payments.  I also have a Lowes card, $0 bal with $5500 limit.  I have Discover $170bal/$9400CL.  I can't figure it out!

@RobertEG wrote:

I'm confused... you said closed CC?

Message 7 of 8
tjmolly
Regular Contributor

My bad.  It is NOT closed, it is open with a $2k limit.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.