cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance transfer from closed account score impact?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Balance transfer from closed account score impact?

I'm currently trying to build up my credit after making some mistakes 2 years ago (2 medical collections and a handful of late payments)

I had a student card with a 7500 limit that was closed with a balance. I currently owe 4000 and have been making regular payments.

I just applied for a car loan at my CU and at the same time requested a credit card, since it would only count as one hard pull on my credit.

I was approved for 7500 cc limit at 11% with a 0% BT fee. The only other card I use is a Capitol one with a 1000 limit and a $300 balance. My card utilization looks okay on my credit, because it appears it doesn't count my $4000 from the closed account?

The closed account has a high APR over 22% - so I know the transfer would save me money and help me pay this balance off.

My concern is that it will increase my credit utilization pretty significantly. Should I still go through with this so I can save money and get this balance paid off?

Current TU 715 - Equifax 716 (up from 598 2 years ago) However when applying for car loan the bank stated my TU was 685 on their structure.
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer from closed account score impact?

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm currently trying to build up my credit after making some mistakes 2 years ago (2 medical collections and a handful of late payments)

I had a student card with a 7500 limit that was closed with a balance. I currently owe 4000 and have been making regular payments.

I just applied for a car loan at my CU and at the same time requested a credit card, since it would only count as one hard pull on my credit.

I was approved for 7500 cc limit at 11% with a 0% BT fee. The only other card I use is a Capitol one with a 1000 limit and a $300 balance. My card utilization looks okay on my credit, because it appears it doesn't count my $4000 from the closed account?

The closed account has a high APR over 22% - so I know the transfer would save me money and help me pay this balance off.

My concern is that it will increase my credit utilization pretty significantly. Should I still go through with this so I can save money and get this balance paid off?

Current TU 715 - Equifax 716 (up from 598 2 years ago) However when applying for car loan the bank stated my TU was 685 on their structure.

Absolutely. Scores are secondary to saving money, IMHO - unless you will be seeking more credit soon, before that balance gets paid down.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Balance transfer from closed account score impact?

@Anonymous wrote:

They most likely used TU FICO Score 4, or the Auto Enhanced score.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.