Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Balance went up after DV letter

tag
golo
Frequent Contributor

Balance went up after DV letter

I shot a DV letter to CMI the other day and today log in to check my usaa and viola! The balance on the CC went up 20 dollars! I haven't received a response to the DV,ugh! How come? Thanks in advance. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Balance went up after DV letter

The debt collector has no period for response to the DV, but upon receipt of the DV (assuming it was timely), they were thereafter under a cease collection bar until verification is provided.  Lack of response is not the real issue, it is their possible violation of the cease collection bar that would be at issue.

Technically, if they reported a change in debt status to the CRA after receipt of your timely DV, it could be considered as an action related to "collection of the debt," and thus a violation of their cease collection bar.  Pursuant of an asserted FDCPA violation would be the path.

Message 2 of 6
golo
Frequent Contributor

Thank you Robert for your insight.I had that cc there for a long time,I don't know if my dv letter was timely,I don't think it was,but what difference does it makes and why their are jacking up the balance right after my dv letter?
Message 3 of 6
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@golo wrote:
Thank you Robert for your insight.I had that cc there for a long time,I don't know if my dv letter was timely,I don't think it was,but what difference does it makes and why their are jacking up the balance right after my dv letter?

Likely the balance was already increased over time, they just stopped reporting new updates.

Your DV letter to them signaled you might be interested in this debt now for whatever reason, and they reported the new balance.

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 4 of 6
golo
Frequent Contributor

Bump...
Message 5 of 6
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

i believe your question was already answered

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.