Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ballys- Membership that never was

tag
Switch2007
Contributor

Ballys- Membership that never was

Hoping that someone can either 1) reassure me or 2) give me some type of direction or advice I got a pull on my CR yesterday from Lighthouse Recovery. When I called to ask WHY they pulled, they told me that I had an old Ballys account that I defaulted on and they bought the account. (they stated that this was in 2004, but I had my membership in 2006) Initially I was a bit confused only because I know I paid in full my account for the duration of my membership... Ballys never asked me for this or anything, so I didn't know there was ever an issue. So, when I began the rebuild in 2009, and pulled my credit report and saw the Ballys account on there. Well, I disputed it on all the CR's, and it was removed. No problems, and it never came up again. Fast forward to now... to have this come up again... I mean... GEEESZH! When I talked to the guy, I asked that the debt be validated. He said "Well you can call Bally's and ask them what it's all about, and I'll hold off on pursuing this for now... I'll give you until Monday" Monday??? Really??? Again, I told him to please get validation of the debt to me ASAP. which he agreed to. And thats that. What are your thoughts on this? The fact that it was easily removed from my CR, and that I've gotten no communication from Bally's regarding it, makes me wonder. And when I asked him why he pulled my CR, he stated that Bally's couldn't get in contact with me because I'd moved. Which I did... but very recently. And again, they STILL hadn't contacted me or anything. I had all the payments auto debited from my checking account, so I do have record of them, so I shouldn't owe Bally's a single dime! Thoughts? Advice? Anyone??? How should I approach this? Thanks so much!

Starting Score: 08/01/2009 584
Current Score: 08/01/2011 EQ 684 EX (Lender Pull) 702 TU 712
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Ballys- Membership that never was

In order for a DV to be effective, by law you must send it in writing. I'd mail a DV CMRRR.

I'd call Bally's and ask for an accounting. They might have your info (they had to send something to the CA).

Even if Bally's deleted it or the CRAs deleted it, it doesn't mean the debt goes away (hence I'm trumpeting that disputes are bad). They can sell it and the new CA can report if they want to. Assuming SOL had expired (likely if from 2004) and CRTP expired, the CA can bug you forever. Thankfully if this came from 2004, then the CRTP is up or almost up. So if it did report, it would be short lived. Just check your state's SOL to make sure it expired. Whatever you do don't tell the CA your membership was from 2006. You wouldn't want them to re-age it.

Never call a CA.

Message 2 of 7
Switch2007
Contributor

Thank you, duly noted. I didn't tell them anything at all. The SOL for written contracts in IL is 10 years... BUT I know for a fact that this isn't even anything that I owe. I'll attempt to call Bally's and see what they told the CA. The CA hasn't even put it on my report however, I just saw the pull. I guess I should wait and see what they do before doing anything though? Thoughts?

Message 3 of 7
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Was it a hard pull?  Is that how you saw it?

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 4 of 7
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

I'd definitely send them a DV letter.  Maybe this is a case of fraud.  I agree with the post about contacting Bally's and asking for an accounting of your account (lol).  Do you still have the initial contract that you signed with them?  If you could correlate the contract and your payments from your bank or credit card then that might squash the whole thing.  Also, let's not hope it's a case of fraud either.

Message 5 of 7
Switch2007
Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Was it a hard pull?  Is that how you saw it?

Yes, it was a hard pull... which is part of the reason why I'm so upset about it! 

Message 6 of 7
Switch2007
Contributor

I couldn't possibly imagine where that contract would be. I'm sure I could possibly dig it up out of some old crate if I'm lucky, but who knows. You'd think that after the 2 years was up, and they stopped charging you, there wouldn't even be any more issues with it right? Hopefully, it's not a case of fraud though. I'd agree with that for sure. I'm wondering too though if I should just wait for the initial creditor contact? I called them and asked them why the hard pull.... They haven't even sent me anything about it. I requested something be sent to me though. Which seemed to catch the guy off guard. I hope that didn't do anything wrong, but I think I have the right to know of WHY someone was pulling or requesting my credit unauthorized.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.