Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Account Frozen :(

tag
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

Bank Account Frozen :(

So a super old Zombie debt jsut came it bit me in the butt. Gotta fight that in the morning when they open up. But dang what a helpless feeling going to the ATM only seeing a balance of 0.

Ironically I got a score alert of 650 today, my highest score ever, but the joy of that was qucikly squashed Smiley Sad

Anyone esle have their account drained before?? Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank Account Frozen :(

@tubbynerd wrote:

So a super old Zombie debt jsut came it bit me in the butt. Gotta fight that in the morning when they open up. But dang what a helpless feeling going to the ATM only seeing a balance of 0.

Ironically I got a score alert of 650 today, my highest score ever, but the joy of that was qucikly squashed Smiley Sad

Anyone esle have their account drained before?? Smiley Sad

This must have been an old judgment?? That is the only way they could drain your bank account unless you actually gave the Zombie CA your account numbers. I have not had it happen but I have read plenty of threads to known that it happens all the time. Sorry to hear this. If it was an old judgment you need to make sure it was still active if it wasnt and it had actually expired then you can reclaim the funds, it may take hiring counsel to get it done.

Message 2 of 13
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

I've never actually seen a judgement from them or ever received anything aside from a random phonecall from like 5 or 6 years ago... im assuming it's expired. I'm sure they tracked me down from the corporate find a debtor experian thing. which kind of sucks. I'd like to pay them off anyway, it is my debt, despite being way old. Sucks they had to g ostraight to that tho, hopefully we can have a reasonable chat in the morning.

Message 3 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@tubbynerd wrote:

I've never actually seen a judgement from them or ever received anything aside from a random phonecall from like 5 or 6 years ago... im assuming it's expired. I'm sure they tracked me down from the corporate find a debtor experian thing. which kind of sucks. I'd like to pay them off anyway, it is my debt, despite being way old. Sucks they had to g ostraight to that tho, hopefully we can have a reasonable chat in the morning.

The only way they could have levied your account is if there was a judgment against you.    I'd recommend doing some research to find out when / how much is involved.

Judgments have a very long SOL, and in many states can be renewed.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 13
lavencedora
Frequent Contributor

Just want to say that I'm really sorry this happened. Hope you are able to work something out, because that's pretty aweful. I've been going through a bit of a credit repair roller coaster myself, but I just can't even imagine finding a bank account drained. Yikes. Please let us know what happens with this.

Starting Score: TU 490 on 11/2012
Current Score:6/16/15:EQ 714, EX 704, TU 702 (all from myFICO)
New Goal Score: 740+ for all three
Message 5 of 13
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1

they would have to have a judgement in place to take the money from your account.  I do know thar MN has a special pocket judgemnt that they use, but not aware of anything else.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 13
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

It's happened to me before. It sucks. At least here in CT, it's a long process. The bank gets the execution, freezes the funds, keeps the funds in an escrow account for 60 days (because you have that long to file an exemption with Small Claims) and then after such time passes the funds are forwarded to whoever filed the judgment. by way of a lousy judicial marshall, who charges $175 for his services and is tacked on whatever the creditor says you owe.

Luckily, I was able to get an exemption put on it in Small Claims. Since they were wanting like $300 in interest charges, I basically told them to kiss my butt and just take the amount of the actual judgment. The creditor failed to explain how they calculated the interest. The judge at the hearing was pretty nice and approved it. A couple weeks later I get what was levied minus the amount of the judgement.

Check your court records online if you can.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 13
meehan22
Frequent Contributor

@Shogun wrote:

+1

they would have to have a judgement in place to take the money from your account.  I do know thar MN has a special pocket judgemnt that they use, but not aware of anything else.

Judgments can last for an incredibly long time in some states and can be continued to be renewed. 

Since I do this for a 8-5 job I'd also suggest following up with the creditor and your bank to see how long they keep it in escrow for. If its for a longer period, like a poster that mentioned 60 days, you can SOMETIMES contact the CA and the BANK and negotiate a settlement if you go to your bank and sign off on it earlier to be released. Smiley Happy 

When I hit people's bank accounts and I know its going to be a while i'll try to contact the debtor to sign off on it and i'll give them back some of it if they do and settle the debt. Worth giving a shot! 

Wallet: Chase $6,000 - Discover $1,500 - Walmart $2,200 - Voyage FCU $1,300 - Zales $2,300 - Elan Fin: $12,500(AU, reporting) - Chase $8,500 (AU, reporting) 1% UTL
Message 8 of 13
tubbynerd
Regular Contributor

Finally got to the bottom of it. It was apparently from a Judgement from 2005 that i never got notification of because of bad address...

Message 9 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@tubbynerd wrote:

Finally got to the bottom of it. It was apparently from a Judgement from 2005 that i never got notification of because of bad address...

Were you even properly served?? If not you can file motion to vacate on grounds of improper service then you can move to recover the funds from the plaintiff.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.