Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank Loan To Pay All Debt

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank Loan To Pay All Debt

So I currently have a 556 EQU 570 TRANS and 507 EXP and owe over 20,000 in charge offs and loans (7 accounts total) (loans are in good standing as of now) If I go to a local bank, and get a loan to pay off all my Charge offs and get them off my credit report completely) and most of if not all of my Student Loans, how will that effect my Credit Score? And also how good do you all think it will look after I start paying off that loan as well and keep it in good standing Cause as I can tell, if i pay off everything i go up a good 100+ but if I take out a line of credit I'll go down I think about 50-60. Thanks for any future help, TeamNoxious

Message Edited by TeamNoxious on 05-01-2008 08:13 PM
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank Loan To Pay All Debt

TeamNoxious wrote:
So I currently have a 556 EQU 570 TRANS and 507 EXP and owe over 20,000 in charge offs and loans (7 accounts total) (loans are in good standing as of now) If I go to a local bank, and get a loan to pay off all my Charge offs and get them off my credit report completely) and most of if not all of my Student Loans, how will that effect my Credit Score? And also how good do you all think it will look after I start paying off that loan as well and keep it in good standing Cause as I can tell, if i pay off everything i go up a good 100+ but if I take out a line of credit I'll go down I think about 50-60. Thanks for any future help, TeamNoxious

Are the CO's being calculated into your UTIL?

Remember that simply paying them will NOT remove them from your CR.

What is DOFD on these accounts?

What is SOL in your state?

Who is reporting, the OC, CA, or both?

What is your age of history?

If you do negotiate a PFD, you could possibly lose age having some of these accounts removed.

Do you have other CCs?

Will the loan be secured or unsecured?

Sorry for so many questions, but it is really hard to determine for sure. These are some things that will affect how your actions you are considered may affect your score.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unsecured loan
No more credit cards
Already have agreements to make PFD for all except the Student Loan
Age history? 90 days or more delinquent, none in collections though
OC is reporting them all
7 years SOL in CA.
And yes I have agreements to have all taken off my CR, I have certified letters from creditors
Don’t know what DFOD is
Don’t know what your mean by UTIL
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

TeamNoxious wrote:
Unsecured loan
No more credit cards
Already have agreements to make PFD for all except the Student Loan
Age history? 90 days or more delinquent, none in collections though

Age history is what is the age of your oldest account? Are you going to be removing it with a PFD?

OC is reporting them all
7 years SOL in CA.
And yes I have agreements to have all taken off my CR, I have certified letters from creditors
Don’t know what DFOD is

DOFD means the date your account first went delinquent and is the date that credit reporting time period is based on. The accounts remain 7 years past DOFD.

Don’t know what your mean by UTIL

Utilization is how much of your available credit are you using.

Ok, if you have no other CC, removing these accounts could cause a score drop for lack of a mix of credit.....since they are COs, I am unsure if they are being counted as part of the mix of credit(having different types of credit such as revolving, installment)

If any of these accounts are your oldest accounts, removing them will decrease the age of your credit history-- this could cause a score drop.

If they are being counted into your util.......paying/removing them may increase your score.

There is a good chance that you might see a score drop from doing this, not only for the reasons mentioned above but because of a new inquiry and new account from getting the loan.

However, with all that said.............myself, personally, if I could do it, I would.....especially if they have all accepted PFDs.

As for losing mix of credit, you can gain that back by opening a CC or two. It counts for 10% of your score.

As for losing history.....history only counts for 15% of your score and you can't gain that back as fast, but can certainly gain that back.

Payment history (collections, charge offs, late pays, etc) is 35% of your score. If you will have good TLs remaining that aren't charged off or have late pays, removing the negative can help here.

30% of your score is based on util. If these are included in util, then paying them/removing them could help a great deal.

It is really a gamble as to how your score is going to change or be affected. But your score can be regained in time.

Sounds like you have a chance to wipe off all negative and start over with only good TLs.

Others may disagree and you can make your own choice, but as I said-- personally I would do it.

Just don't get discouraged if your score drops or doesn't rise as much as you wish or expect after doing it.

Edited to add: There is also the possibility of being "rebucketed". This could help/hurt your score. Do a search here on the forums for "score buckets" , "rebucketed", "bucketing", etc.

Message Edited by sidewinder on 05-01-2008 10:41 PM
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

TeamNoxious wrote:

The score simulator doesn't take into account that you having the accounts completely removed. Just that you are paying the balances down to $0 and leaving them.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks alot sidewinder,
I was and sill am going to see someone at my bank tomorrow after work, and thanks to you ill have more questions and more knowledge as to what i am looking to do.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.