Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America-Goodwill Letter Rejected

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Bank of America-Goodwill Letter Rejected

@ChrisinKC wrote:

I sent a GW letter to BOA last week for a 30 day late in Nov 2008, and I got a call from someone there on Friday.  He said BOA doesn't even have that account information anymore, but if they did, they would not do any GW adjustments.

Since I'm a current BOA customer (checking/savings), and have been a BOA customer for many many years, I was hoping they'd do it for me.  By the way, I sent my letter to them via the secure messaging on their website when logged in to my account.

So, since BOA is saying they don't even have that account information, wouldn't I be able to dispute it with the credit bureaus, and since BOA can't find it, it would have to be removed - correct?

I asked the BOA guy the same question, and he said he couldn't comment.

Since this happened in Nov. 2008, I'm expecting it to fall off by itself Nov of this year, and probably isn't hurting my score much now anyway (guessing).

One certainly "could" do that though it would be ill advised. What would most likely happen is that an otherwise good account could simply get deleted, negatively affecting ones AAoA. Your assumption would be correct that a single 30 day late that old would not likely be affecting scores at all. 

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

These Goodwill letters very RARELY work. This is corporate America we are talking about and they have there "polices and procedures". When I fixed my girlfriends credit the only thing that worked was a DV letter and if that didn't work a ITENT TO SUE letter did. Out of her 13 collections I got 8 removed with a simple ITS. They begin to take things WAY WAY more serious because they know if you follow through there is a 50/50 chance you will win in small claims court. I won 2 small claims cases and got items removed PLUS punitive damage. 

Just Google "Intent to Sue" Template. Use as a last resort though. And remember always be kind, polite, & professional. But ALWAYS be firm and direct. 

Message 12 of 16
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

These Goodwill letters very RARELY work. This is corporate America we are talking about and they have there "polices and procedures". When I fixed my girlfriends credit the only thing that worked was a DV letter and if that didn't work a ITENT TO SUE letter did. Out of her 13 collections I got 8 removed with a simple ITS. They begin to take things WAY WAY more serious because they know if you follow through there is a 50/50 chance you will win in small claims court. I won 2 small claims cases and got items removed PLUS punitive damage. 

Just Google "Intent to Sue" Template. Use as a last resort though. And remember always be kind, polite, & professional. But ALWAYS be firm and direct. 

So you sue a creditor for legally reporting your late payments?

Really?  None called your bluff?

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 13 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Threatening to sue collectors attempting to collect valid amounts owed is not something we would advocate on My Fico. An ITS letter should only be used if they are violating laws that are set forth in the FCRA, FDCPA and others.

Message 14 of 16
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Threatening to sue collectors attempting to collect valid amounts owed is not something we would advocate on My Fico. An ITS letter should only be used if they are violating laws that are set forth in the FCRA, FDCPA and others.

+1

Would love an answer to my question too... in no way do I believe it would be that easy. 

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 15 of 16
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@ChrisinKC wrote:

I sent a GW letter to BOA last week for a 30 day late in Nov 2008, and I got a call from someone there on Friday.  He said BOA doesn't even have that account information anymore, but if they did, they would not do any GW adjustments.

Since I'm a current BOA customer (checking/savings), and have been a BOA customer for many many years, I was hoping they'd do it for me.  By the way, I sent my letter to them via the secure messaging on their website when logged in to my account.

So, since BOA is saying they don't even have that account information, wouldn't I be able to dispute it with the credit bureaus, and since BOA can't find it, it would have to be removed - correct?

I asked the BOA guy the same question, and he said he couldn't comment.

Since this happened in Nov. 2008, I'm expecting it to fall off by itself Nov of this year, and probably isn't hurting my score much now anyway (guessing).

One certainly "could" do that though it would be ill advised. What would most likely happen is that an otherwise good account could simply get deleted, negatively affecting ones AAoA. Your assumption would be correct that a single 30 day late that old would not likely be affecting scores at all. 

Correct.   As a general reminder, when posting on the Forums, we can't advocate any disputes of valid information on CRs in order to get removal.   

OP, you could attempt further GW efforts, but the 30 day late is nearly 7 years old and is due to age off.   You might be better off just waiting it out.

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.