Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America-Goodwill Letter Rejected

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bank of America-Goodwill Letter Rejected

Hi Everyone,

New here to the forum.  I'll try to make this short.  Basically I missed a payment in November to Bank of America for my mortgage.  Once I received the letter from them ithe first part of December I called and paid both November and December in full over the phone.  I knew this would be reported.  I asked the gal on the phone where I should send my explanation for the oversight with my bank statements documenting I did have the funds and it was simply an oversight.  I also asked her if they remove these types of negative marks on credit and she said based off my account with them of over 6 years and never being late they would probably do it-but of course could not promise me anything.

Well the beginning of January I got the rejection letter.  I started researching more and saw people emailing the CEO.  So for my second attempt I drafted my email and sent it off.  The next day Susan called me explaining she would be working with me.  She was very  nice and chatted with me about my new baby and her grown kids.  I thought for sure I'd get it removed.  Well a week later she called to tell me that they could not remove the 30 day late.

I'm just besides myself.  I've never been late one time and I just can't believe given my bank documentation and explanation they won't remove it.  She kept mentionning for me to contact the credit bureaus directly but they can't do anything right?  Can you send a goodwill letter to the bureaus?  Any help is much appreciated.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Bank of America-Goodwill Letter Rejected

All you can do is keep sending GW letters, I believe they should go thru the mail to the office of the CEO. I sent 1 a month for 3 years to one credit union so all you can doo is keep trying. Good luck Smiley Happy

Here is the GW Letter thread:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Message 2 of 16
newstart2010
Blogger

yeah, just keep plugging away at it.send it to everyone and anyone you can think of, all the way up the ladder.  and just plead plead plead.  don't give up!!

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Were you 60 days late with the payment? The credit bureaus (and creditors) don't typically mark an account 30 days late until it is actually 60 days past the original due date. 

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I sent a GW letter a month ago and got nowhere, but my history is much worse than yours.  It did rustle some feathers:  three phone calls and two letters from the CEO office.  They still have someone assigned to my case.  The 2013 30/60 day lates stick but the account is current and I'll keep paying the LOC.  I have a lot of delinquencies and settlements in other accounts but have been good since 2012, except for the lates in 2013.  I won't try again until the LOC goes into principal/interest repayment in 2017.  At least they didn't take the house, and my credit (650 eq), is good enough for a couple of decent cards.  Best wishes with BofA.

Message 5 of 16
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

An account is defined in the standard credit reporing manual used by the CRAs as being 30 days past the billing due date.

That is 60 days from the billing date, not the billing due date.

Thus, an account that goes past the billing due date becomes delinquent under the consumer's account agreement, and thus subject to late fees and possible APR adjustment, but does not become reportable to a CRA as a 30-late until the delinquency extends 30 days past the billing due date.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes it was marked 30 days late in December for my November payment looking at my credit report.  Thank you everyone for your response.  I did talk to a financial counselor at our credit union and she says typically she doesn't see much luck from goodwill letters.  I've read alot of success on here so guess I will just keep trying.

Message 7 of 16
newstart2010
Blogger

If you are willing send a letter every day.  Someone will get tired of it.  Smiley Happy

I live my life like I type, fast and with a lot of mistakes.
Spacebar broken. Watch for finger.

02/04/2015 || TU 08: 728 EX 08: 709 EQ 08: 748

Message 8 of 16
ChrisinKC
New Contributor

I sent a GW letter to BOA last week for a 30 day late in Nov 2008, and I got a call from someone there on Friday.  He said BOA doesn't even have that account information anymore, but if they did, they would not do any GW adjustments.

Since I'm a current BOA customer (checking/savings), and have been a BOA customer for many many years, I was hoping they'd do it for me.  By the way, I sent my letter to them via the secure messaging on their website when logged in to my account.

So, since BOA is saying they don't even have that account information, wouldn't I be able to dispute it with the credit bureaus, and since BOA can't find it, it would have to be removed - correct?

I asked the BOA guy the same question, and he said he couldn't comment.

Since this happened in Nov. 2008, I'm expecting it to fall off by itself Nov of this year, and probably isn't hurting my score much now anyway (guessing).

Message 9 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@ChrisinKC wrote:

I sent a GW letter to BOA last week for a 30 day late in Nov 2008, and I got a call from someone there on Friday.  He said BOA doesn't even have that account information anymore, but if they did, they would not do any GW adjustments.

Since I'm a current BOA customer (checking/savings), and have been a BOA customer for many many years, I was hoping they'd do it for me.  By the way, I sent my letter to them via the secure messaging on their website when logged in to my account.

So, since BOA is saying they don't even have that account information, wouldn't I be able to dispute it with the credit bureaus, and since BOA can't find it, it would have to be removed - correct?

I asked the BOA guy the same question, and he said he couldn't comment.

Since this happened in Nov. 2008, I'm expecting it to fall off by itself Nov of this year, and probably isn't hurting my score much now anyway (guessing).

It is impacting your score less and less as it ages, 30 day lates ten to be the hardest for 2 years.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.