cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bank of America(checking) vs Bank of America(credit card)

tag
Supernatural
Valued Member

Bank of America(checking) vs Bank of America(credit card)

I am interested in getting a Bank of America secure card but I had seen a lot of people say that they have burned BofA so that can't get one.  Going on 9 years ago I did a lot of stupid stuff with my account at BofA like writing bad checks and check kiting.  I ended up getting overdrawn by around $600 and my account was closed.  I would wondering if BofA had a long memory or if it even mattered since its two different departments.  I don't want to waste a hard inquiry if I don't have to but I would love to get a card that graduates.   

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

Re: Bank of America(checking) vs Bank of America(credit card)

Did you pay the $600 that were overdrawn ?
Samsung mobile
Message 2 of 8
Supernatural
Valued Member

No I didn't.  After I got myself back on my feet,  I moved to another state and never heard anything about it.  

Message 3 of 8
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

They could probably still have this on file because it wasn't paid. The only way of finding out is if you apply for their checking or credit card.
Samsung mobile
Message 4 of 8
Supernatural
Valued Member

If I were to get approved and put money into the secure credit card could/would they take that away to pay the debt from 9 years ago?  If I were to call them to ask about paying the debt would that be the same as re-initating.  My credit report is finally clear and I would hate to add something back to it.

Message 5 of 8
creditscoreEE
Frequent Contributor

It depends on the statue of limitation of your state. If you are blacklisted they will simply decline you.
Samsung mobile
Message 6 of 8
coterotie
Established Contributor

I couldn't find any real law on a time-bar on right of setoff.  So while you may be outside the SOL for litigation I couldn't really find anything for setoff.  So my general advice would be to avoid Bank of America for deposits. 

Message 7 of 8
Supernatural
Valued Member

Thank you both for your help and information.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.