cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard success! With poor credit!

tag
KateM

Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard success! With poor credit!

Hey everyone.

I've been a longtime lurker but haven't made an account until now because I had nothing to contribute.  I just wanted to share my success with obtaining a Barclaycard with poopy credit.  All I have is a Cap1 card that started as a regular rebuilder card at $300 since August 2011.  It was upped to $500 5 months later, then $600 via the button online, then $750 a couple of weeks ago after a message to the Cap1 FB and employment verification letter.  I also got it converted to a QuicksilverOne rewards card via the online chat.

So I decided to try my luck and apply for a few cards this weekend.  Walmart - DENIED.  Discover IT Student - DENIED (Counteroffer of secured card, ignored.) and then a Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard for Average credit - APPROVED!  for $500.  My most recent credit score I have was on a declined letter last month from Cap1 on a Journey student card and it was 573, I believe EQ if I remember correctly. 

I had to call in for review and gave them some info, explained away the inquiries (That I only have 1 card with perfect payment history and want to continue building with new credit), WHY I want the card (Christmas shopping), and she approved it on the phone. Smiley Happy I will have it in 5-7 days. 

What's on my CR -

almost $2k in a bill from when I dropped out of beauty school 6 years ago.

$200 to an old utility company

like 8 inqs

60% credit util

I kind of can't believe they approved me with all of that.

Soooo how does Barclaycard work with CLIs? I have heard I should wait at least 6 months or so before applying for any new credit, but do they do auto-CLIs or customer initiated?

EQ: 635 (1/28/14) TU: 647 (3/14/14) EX: 689 (3/14/14)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
madmann26
Valued Contributor

Re: Barclaycard Rewards Mastercard success! With poor credit!

I don't know about CLI's but in general, they are inquiry sensitive. If you amass to many inquiries, they are known for closing the account of removing some of your credit limit.

Congrats btw!

Current FICO 9 Scores

Message 2 of 6
pizza1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Welcome to the boards!!

Agree with madman.... Barclays is super sensitive!! They will now monitor your acct for a good 4-6 months now. If I were you, I would garden your cap 1 and new Barclays card for at least 6 months. Barclays hates inquiries, and if they see you applying for more cards in the next few months, they have been known to close your acct for no reason, FYISmiley Happy
Message 3 of 6
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

Yes. There's a HUGE forum all about Barclays, I'd advise reading it.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Barclay-CC-let-s-put-our-heads-together/m-p/2297693/hig...
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 4 of 6
buildafico
Frequent Contributor

Now I'm gonna have to log in to my account to make sure it's still there lol
some textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome textsome text>some text
Message 5 of 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Congrats on your success it's now time to garden especially with Barclay 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.