cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Barclays Apple denied. Called backdoor number for reconnaissance.

tag
dv112
Valued Member

Barclays Apple denied. Called backdoor number for reconnaissance.

So after endlessly searching for a similar example I decided to take a hit and report my recent experience with Barclays. I've seen a high percentage of approvals for score ranging between 620-690 for TU with a variety of collection statuses. 

I apped for $500 for the Apple card since I plan on buying an iPad mini this weekend and figured what the hey. I didn't have much to lose for a hard pull as I do not plan on pursuing any new credit or fiancing until next summer. I submitted with 2 C/Os with balances. $1500 with Chase and $174 with Merrick Bank (which I paid off yesterday!). I have a new Capital One secured card opened in July that has not reported yet and obviously it was too soon to see Merrick update my PIF status. 

I called the backdoor and spoke to a really friendly rep who asked me questions about my employment and sources of income. Saw that I was on the road to rebuilding and confirmed that if I can show responsible utilization for just my CapOne in the next 6 months with not too many inquiries (I plan to have no more HPs), then I would definitely be reconsidered. My chase will be paid off at the end of the month, just waiting for an agreement letter to be mailed back. 

I feel pretty good and it does appear that decisions are a case-by-case basis. So my recommedation to others starting out is to call for recon no matter what. Have your report right in front of you so you can be ready to go over it with the rep. 

And having only a single revolving account is good enough in their eyes. Pay down your other balances and have no more inquries for the next 6 months. Same goes for after being approved as they soft pull in the first few months which has caused many limits to be decreased and even some cancelled. 

This experience just made a more positive impact in rebuilding. Smiley Happy

Starting Scores: 639 EX | 625 EQ | 664 TU (9/1/13)
Current Scores: 640 EX (11/10/13) | 627 EQ (10/18/13) | 658 TU (12/16/13)
CL Timeline: CapOne Secured: $1200 | Amazon Store Card: $800 • In the Garden until 01/2015 (for auto re-fi)

*Score dropped 10 points on 12/09/13 for auto loan inquiries and high christmas utilization.
Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.