Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Basic rebuild questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basic rebuild questions

Hello! I am new to the boards, but I have been lurking without joiing for quite some time. I am seriously in debt. Three years of overspending, loss of job, maternity leave with now pay, etc. etc. While I am climbing out of it SLOWLY, I am thinking about and ready to plan my next steps. I am wondering if it would be start to start rebuilding with a secured card, while still trying to get out of debt. Essentially, I have learned A LOT of lessons and want to make a fresh start, but I also want to have time on my side while trying to establish better credit/money habits. Any advice out there? I don't even know my credit score, too afraid to look. It is my goal to find out within the next few days. Just trying to get up the nerve. Thanks to all those who reply!!!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Basic rebuild questions

Well, approaching it from a first-steps-first point of view, I would try my darndest to clean up my current CR before looking to new credit as a means to build your credit score.

Getting new credit to rebuild is difficult if your score is low.

Is there anything in your current CR that you can address now, and hopefully get deleted, before its normal CR deletion date?  Any inaccurate information?  Any unpaid debts that you can offer a pay-for-delete (PFD)?  Any paid accounts that you can pursue good-will (GW) letters?  Any current accounts in good-standing with high percent utilizations that you can pay-down?

Once you get your full CR, I suggest you start as follows:

Dont look at your CR in terms of accounts,  Look at it in terms of each delinquency and derog in your CR.

Focus first on monthly delinquencies on each OC account.

List each monthly delinquency on each OC account by date and severity (e.g., 30-day late 5/2005; 60-day late 6/2005, etc)

Add 7 years from each individual delinquency, and you have a complete summary of when each monthly  delinquency individually drops from your CR.

After doing that, then turn to each charge-off and collection in your CR.

The single date to identify for each CO and CA is the date of first monthly delinquency on the OC account that preceded the CO or CA.  Just go back to the list of OC account delinquencies already compliled, and locate that date.  Add 180 days to that DOFD, and the OC or CA must drop from your CR after 7 years from this date.

How to use your CR for credit repair depends on the derogs that lie therein.  Put together a list of the delinquencies and derogs, and you will get some sound advice here on the forum on how to address each.  Can you post them for us?

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Basic rebuild questions

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. I now feel like I have a good starting point. My goal this weekend will be to pull my report and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Then I will post all of the information that you recommended to get some advice from this group.

Til the weekend.....
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.