Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been paying a law office on an old debt that is no longer on my credit report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been paying a law office on an old debt that is no longer on my credit report

Hi,

I live in NH and been making small payments to a third party law office for a number of years on a very old debt from at least ten years ago. I recently asked them to send me a letter stating how much I still owe and it was more than double of what I originally owe due to a 12.2% interest. I then checked my credit with all three credit agencies and realized that the debt is no longer showing on my account. Do I still make payments? Or should I ignore from now on. I've never been taken to court for this debt. And NH has a 3 year statue of limitations. Can they take me to court for this and reage this debt even though it no longer exists on my credit report? How does this all work? I'm considering talking to a lawyer...

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Been paying a law office on an old debt that is no longer on my credit report

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi,

I live in NH and been making small payments to a third party law office for a number of years on a very old debt from at least ten years ago. I recently asked them to send me a letter stating how much I still owe and it was more than double of what I originally owe due to a 12.2% interest. I then checked my credit with all three credit agencies and realized that the debt is no longer showing on my account. Do I still make payments? Or should I ignore from now on. I've never been taken to court for this debt. And NH has a 3 year statue of limitations. Can they take me to court for this and reage this debt even though it no longer exists on my credit report? How does this all work? I'm considering talking to a lawyer...

if you are talking about credit card debt, then the SOL is three years and cannot be ordinarily tolled by making payments.

Without knowing all the specifics, I'd say you can safely stop paying and  are immune to both credit reporting and legal repercussions.  Of course, depending on how you worked out the payment agreement with the law office there is a -- in my opinion -- slight chance that you may have problems if you do not pay.  I would consult with a local attorney.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.