Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Been trying to remove tax lien on TU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Been trying to remove tax lien on TU

So I have a tax lien on my TU report.  It shows as released/dismissed.  I can't get them to remove it even after disputing it twice.  I have been able to get it removed from my Experian and Equifax reports though.  What happened is the state of Arkansas came at me with a bogus claim that I owed over 4k in back taxes.  Once life had settled down for me (was going through a separation then a divorce), I investigated and realized that they were claiming I owed taxes during a year that I didn't even live in Arkansas; it was my then-estranged wife that had moved back.  I lived in Texas that whole year and filed taxes there.  I talked to an Arkansas tax collector, they asked that I provided proof of residency in Texas, I provided my tax returns for that year and then they released the lien.  That tax lien is bringing my TU score lots lower than the other 2.  I have now gotten some contact info for the Arkansas reps who issued the lien to see if they can get it removed but I won't be able to get hold of them until tomorrow and I'm afraid they won't be able to do anything anyway.  Any advice?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Been trying to remove tax lien on TU

@Anonymous wrote:

So I have a tax lien on my TU report.  It shows as released/dismissed.  I can't get them to remove it even after disputing it twice.  I have been able to get it removed from my Experian and Equifax reports though.  What happened is the state of Arkansas came at me with a bogus claim that I owed over 4k in back taxes.  Once life had settled down for me (was going through a separation then a divorce), I investigated and realized that they were claiming I owed taxes during a year that I didn't even live in Arkansas; it was my then-estranged wife that had moved back.  I lived in Texas that whole year and filed taxes there.  I talked to an Arkansas tax collector, they asked that I provided proof of residency in Texas, I provided my tax returns for that year and then they released the lien.  That tax lien is bringing my TU score lots lower than the other 2.  I have now gotten some contact info for the Arkansas reps who issued the lien to see if they can get it removed but I won't be able to get hold of them until tomorrow and I'm afraid they won't be able to do anything anyway.  Any advice?

Release leins do not come off reports when released its 7 years from the time they are paid. Since the lien was filed in error and you say it was dismissed the order dismissing is has to say so if it only says released its sticking around. What you need to do is get ahold of the taxing authorities in Ark and request a letter indicating the lien was withdrawn/dismissed due to their error then it can be removed from the CRs. If your current order says dismissed and they are refusing then just file a CFPB complaint on them (TU) for refusing to remove a dismissed lien.    http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Been trying to remove tax lien on TU

Thanks!  I'm gonna double-check my report and see if it shows "dismissed" or "released" and then call the AR authorities tomorrow about it.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.