Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Before paying your medical bill, check your insurance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Before paying your medical bill, check your insurance

I have four lines on my credit reports due to medical collections. Sure, I should have addressed this long ago, but didn't. I was intending to try a PFD, as I can afford the amounts ($1500). After finally finding out what it was (doctors during a hospital stay. Hospital was paid, but doctors were via a separate company) I decided "I know this is old, but let me call my insurance company really quick." So I called them with the company, dates of service, etc. They saw that there was a claim. One line in the computer said it was paid to me. Ok, fine, let me have the tracking number for the payment or a copy of the check. They looked at the screen again and put me on hold for 'just a few seconds'.

That turned into five minutes. But when she got back on the line, she said "actually, nobody got the money. It's now set to pay to the provider. The case number is 12345, blah, blah, blah".

Called the provider back. They wouldn't call, but said they would get things moving after they receive payment. I think I may still owe a small portion after that, but $200 is much better than $1500.

Having worked in the medical industry years ago, I should have known better. This kind of thing (we 'forgot' to actually send the doctor a check) happened regularly. 

Message 1 of 1
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.