Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being added as an authorized user on a credit card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being added as an authorized user on a credit card

I have the option to be added as an authorized user on a credit card with a fairly good credit limit.  Should I accept the option to be added AND will it help my credit score increase? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Being added as an authorized user on a credit card

It can help, but it can also hurt. You have to weigh the age/limit it can give against the fact that if the cardholder runs a high UTI or late payments your score will suffer. Might not be worth it. And on a manual review of your score it looks bad because its not actually your score by itself.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Suffer, not sill. Can't figure out how to edit my posts yet
Message 3 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Suffer, not sill. Can't figure out how to edit my posts yet

Took care of that for you. To edit your post goto the upper right corner of your post to the options button and click on it then select edit post, this gets you to where you can make your edits and when you are finished just hit the post button.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Also to be considered are factors other than simply whether it will give a point increase.

When any AU is added to your file, your score automaticially no longer reflects only your own personal risk analysis.

If a potential creditor wishes to assess only your risk, they cannot see a score that so reflects.

Are you plainning to apply for new credit where the creditor is likely to do a manual review, and become aware that your score is altered by an AU account?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.