cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being added as authorized user?

tag
bm12484

Being added as authorized user?

I'm working towards rebuilding my credit which has fluctuated a bit in the past few months. My Transunion score is currently 608 after having 3 charge off accounts deleted which were due to fall off in 4 months anyway. The two credit cards I have are a Capital One card with a $500 limit that has an excellent standing (no late payments in the past year) and am an authorized user on one of my mom's cards which she has had for over 7 years, no lates ever. When I got added to her card, my score increased.

I'd like her to add me to another one of her cards, to get another score bump but I'm worried this might actually lower my score? Would there be a scenario this would damage my score instead of help it, assuming my mom continues to pay on time, etc as she always does.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Being added as authorized user?

@bm12484 wrote:

I'm working towards rebuilding my credit which has fluctuated a bit in the past few months. My Transunion score is currently 608 after having 3 charge off accounts deleted which were due to fall off in 4 months anyway. The two credit cards I have are a Capital One card with a $500 limit that has an excellent standing (no late payments in the past year) and am an authorized user on one of my mom's cards which she has had for over 7 years, no lates ever. When I got added to her card, my score increased.

I'd like her to add me to another one of her cards, to get another score bump but I'm worried this might actually lower my score? Would there be a scenario this would damage my score instead of help it, assuming my mom continues to pay on time, etc as she always does.

YMMV. It depends on many factors like the age of the account in relationship to your AAoA, whether or not the account in question is new (less than a year), whether or not the utilization on that card helps or hurts your overall revolving util, and whether or not the account has any lates reporting on it. For example, if the account is among your oldest accounts and has a balance at or near $0, then you stand to see an increase. Conversely, if this were a brand new account, had a high balance, and had lates reporting, then it can hurt.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.