Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being sued by Capital one

tag
need2improve
New Contributor

Being sued by Capital one

Hi all,

I need your help and advice once again.  i came home from work last night to find paperwork taped to my door from a local court stating that I was being sued by Capital one.  According to the letter I have 21 days to respond.  Honestly I do owe the debt, and for those of you who are not familiar with my posts I had fallen behind on bills due to the economy and health issues and simply did not have the money.  I have been working my way down the list of those to pay starting with the smallest balances first, but Capital one is at the bottom since it was the biggest.  I originally had a balance of $2500, but they snowballed the interest and fees on me at the last minute and the bill is up to $4,627. I do not have the money to pay this right now, seriously.  I don't even have the money to pay my student loans even and am trying to work something out on that.  My hands are completely tied.  I've never been in this situation in my adult life.  What do I do? By the way the account shows as a charge off on my credit report.

Secondly, I had a second card with Capital one which they closed as charge off, but are still sending me emails directing me to a special website to make payments.  I have not paid this either because again I have not worked my way to it on the list.  I don't want this card to escalate to the same point as the first one so should I go ahead and start making payments for this card on their special website even if all it is is $5 or $10?

Thanks in advance....

Starting Score: 486 TU 3/2/10
Current Score: TU 603 EQ 582
Goal Score: 640

Message 1 of 35
34 REPLIES 34
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Being sued by Capital one

I'm sorry to hear about your continued troubles. I've never had a summons but there are many here much more knowing that I am about this subject and hopefully they can give some good advice.

Good luck to you.

Message 2 of 35
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 3 of 35
need2improve
New Contributor

Thanks so much for the responses.  For the one I'm being sued over, the sol in michigan is 6 years.  Date of last activity was May 2009, and the account was closed in August 2009.

any suggestion on what to do about the other cap account?

Message 4 of 35
BIRDWRITER
Regular Contributor

Hi,

My sister was sued by Crap1. Like you, she honestly didn't have the money to pay. Her husband had died, her home was foreclosed, and she was working barely over minimum wage, trying to survive. The day she went to court (in IL) she noticed that the vast majority of the cases involved Capital One. When it was her turn to go before the judge, she told him that she knew she honestly owed them some money, but not what they were demanding. She explained that she had a $1000 limit on the card, and it was now up to $5000 with fees and interest. The judge asked the Cap1 attorney if he had paperwork to substantiate all the ridiculous fees. Judge wanted a ledger showing each fee, and why and when it was assessed. The attorney told the judge he had nothing. The judge threw the case out of court, and told my sister she didn't owe them a dime!

Later, she saw the attorney in the hall, and went up to sort of apologize, and to tell him that she would have tried to pay something if they had played fair and not buried her with extra charges. Here's the interesting part: the attorney told her he was basically glad she got off, and said he had felt sorry for her. He said that Crap1 usually hired local attorneys in each market, had them sue people for huge amounts of fees and stuff, and rarely gave the attorneys any meaningful paperwork to back up the suit. He hinted that the lawsuits were really meant to scare people into paying, and that those who showed up in court were usually those that really truly had no means of coming up with the money. She got the feeling that this judge at least was fed up with Crap1, and would reduce the amount owed to actual purchase charges, or even throw it out of court completely, provided the person seemed to be honestly concerned about the debt and struggling to manage.

Now, I'm not saying this will definitely apply to your situation, but if you go into court honestly and politely, and explain you know you owe but object to (or are confused by) all the extra fees and penalties, you might get a sympathic judge too.

good luck! Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@need2improve wrote:

Hi all,

I need your help and advice once again.  i came home from work last night to find paperwork taped to my door from a local court stating that I was being sued by Capital one.  According to the letter I have 21 days to respond.  Honestly I do owe the debt, and for those of you who are not familiar with my posts I had fallen behind on bills due to the economy and health issues and simply did not have the money.  I have been working my way down the list of those to pay starting with the smallest balances first, but Capital one is at the bottom since it was the biggest.  I originally had a balance of $2500, but they snowballed the interest and fees on me at the last minute and the bill is up to $4,627. I do not have the money to pay this right now, seriously.  I don't even have the money to pay my student loans even and am trying to work something out on that.  My hands are completely tied.  I've never been in this situation in my adult life.  What do I do? By the way the account shows as a charge off on my credit report.

Secondly, I had a second card with Capital one which they closed as charge off, but are still sending me emails directing me to a special website to make payments.  I have not paid this either because again I have not worked my way to it on the list.  I don't want this card to escalate to the same point as the first one so should I go ahead and start making payments for this card on their special website even if all it is is $5 or $10?

Thanks in advance....

I think BirdWriter has provided a lot of food for thought.

Now, looking at this logically, if you don't show up they will get a judgment against you for about $5k.  That's a given.  If you do show up, you have a chance that you will pay either nothing or significantly less. 

If you can afford an attorney, I would seek local counsel.  If you are unable to retain an attorney, I would go to court and explain to the judge more or less following BirdWriter's suggestion.  There is a chance that the judge will render a judgment for less than what Crap 1 is demanding and maybe even hold off on a judgment while you make payment arrangements.

Other factors to consider is how bad a judgment can actually hurt you.  Do you own property?  Do you have money in the bank?  Do you have income that can be garnished?  Perhaps bankruptcy is an option.

Message 6 of 35
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Great thread!

The advice of both Birdwriter and O6 are both on point, and very practical in approach.

I have very little to add, other than to push you to absolutely, postively  show up in court, with or without an attorney.

Different states have different laws on additional interest and fees a CA can attempt to collect, so getting an attorney would be wise if you want to argue specifics.

If you go into court without any attorney, I suggest that you investigate, as best you can, what is legally collectible before you go to court.

Message 7 of 35
Boonie
Frequent Contributor

Did they DV before filing or did they just file suit? 

I think it is pretty bold for a credit card company to do this considering the current environment of anti-credit card/anti-bank right now.  Sympathy is most likely not in favor of a creditor with questionable practices.

04/10/17 - FICO 8s - EX 769, EQ 710, TU 724
Message 8 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Boonie wrote:

Did they DV before filing or did they just file suit? 

I think it is pretty bold for a credit card company to do this considering the current environment of anti-credit card/anti-bank right now.  Sympathy is most likely not in favor of a creditor with questionable practices.

Look through some of the threads on the mechanics of DV.  DV is probably not applicable in this case.  As such, there is nothing questionable.  You borrow money from the OC, you don't pay, and they sue you.  It really is quite simple. 

DV generally only applies with CAs and not OCs.  Besides, you have to make a timely request before even a CA is required to DV.  There is no requirement that a creditor take it upon themselves to send you DV before suing you absent your timely request.

Message 9 of 35
need2improve
New Contributor

DV? I would probably have to say no they didn't.  

They are pretty much doing what someone has already mentioned here.  I'm in Michigan, so Cap 1 got a local attorney and just filed suit.  I must admit that they have been calling, and I even received a phone call 5 minutes ago from Cap 1 attorney.  My vm just has an automated voice recording and doesn't state my name, so they could have been dialing the wrong number for all they know.  Should I call them back and try to negotiate I wonder or just see them in court?  Cap 1 did have a CA call me in the past, but I ignored those calls because again there was nothing I could do at the time, and again because I've been working my way down the list of debtors.

Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with my other Cap 1 account?  That one has not reached the point of a law suit although it is charged off and closed.  Cap 1 sends me emails to to make payments on a special payment website of theirs.  Should I start doing this then even if it is only for tiny amounts but on a regular basis at least?

Lastly, I thank everyone for their words of advice and encouragement! You all rock!

Message 10 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.