cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being sued for a debt I am not aware of.

tag
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Being sued for a debt I am not aware of.

@Anonymous wrote:

I thank you once again, I will wait and see if O6 is kind enough to lend some advice.

He will respond.  Hopefully soon.  He is an attorney so I trust what he says. 

What state are you in and what kind of debt is it.

Message 11 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in Indiana.

Message 12 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I understand, even if I'm a victim of fraud, I still have to pay the debt. I have no way to get it off of my credit report, I have to pay it and wait until it goes away.

Message 14 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

From what I understand, even if I'm a victim of fraud, I still have to pay the debt. I have no way to get it off of my credit report, I have to pay it and wait until it goes away.

No, that is not true.  There are things that can be done.  Hopefully, he will respond soon and let you know what they are.  He is usually on each day.

Who is the creditor?

Have you filed a police report, put a fraud alert on your CR? 

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have not, this debt was opened 5 years ago, it would be rather pointless to do that now IMO. It's my fault for never checking these kinds of things, it happened right around the time my mother passed away, I was 19 years old.

I've never checked my credit until 2009, now I have to pay for it.

Message 16 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

A little background on this "debt": it's a $2,300 debt, I'm not sure where it came from and I question fraud. The debt is 5 years old ( opened in 2005 ), I recently ( december '09 ) sent a letter to the creditor via certified mail ( have reciept ) requesting an investigation into this debt.

To this day I never recieved any proof the debt is mine, until last week ( march 15th ) a Sheriff's Deputy showed up on my doorstep and served me a judgement. I'm being sued for this debt by an attorneys office, my question is if I decide to take this to court and represent myself in small claims, would this be a wise choice? Or should I just settle this out of court and be done with it?

I'm looking for advice, no real legal council here, I'm not sure how much I can hold up against an attorney, also was I in the wrong to send the letter to the original creditor and not the collections agency? I thought by federal law under the FCRA they HAD to respond withing 30 days to this investigation.

Please advice, I'm in a bind here, thanks.

Sorry to hear about the problem you are having.

Indiana generally has a 6-year statute of limitations so at first glance it looks like legal action is not, unfortunately, time barred.  You definitely do not want to fail to show up or answer the summons & complaint served on you.  Repeat: Do not!  I am not sure how it works in Indiana, but there are generally two possibilities: 1) you get a summons & complaint that has a fixed date for appearance or 2) you have to file an "answer" within a certain amount of time -- usually 30 days.  If it is option #2, you can ask the court clerk for a sample of a standard "answer"  which simply means you are not rolling over and playing dead and want a court date.

You mentioned small claims court.  Are you being sued in small claims court or in trial court / circuit court? 

If small claims court, simply appear and tell them that you wish to see all the documents pertaining to this account and the original credit application.  Point out that this is (if it truly is) identity theft and that you were prevented from filing a police report earlier because the creditor refused your request for additional documentation to help clarify the commission of the crime, but you are going to file a police report immediately after this court session.  This should get you at a minimum a continuance. 

If, however, you do recognize the debt as being yours, also request a continuance so that you may talk with the creditor and come to payment terms.  They may mention something about a "stipulation of judgment" but I wouldn't agree to that unless absolutely necessary.

If you are being sued in circuit court / trial court, you will still appear and request the original credit application and all account documents.  The process would be pretty much as pointed out above, but you may want to have an attorney.  Courts in Indiana are pretty user-friendly, but not in all counties and not at all times.  Still, if you appear and find out you are in way over your head, you can still request a continuance to seek counsel.

Once you have the necessary data supplied by the supposed creditor and are able to file a police report, I believe there are additional protections offered to you concerning the debt.  There are other members of the forum who would probably have more details on what protections are afforded ID theft victims.

Message 18 of 20
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 19 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@guiness56 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

No, that is not true.  There are things that can be done.  Hopefully, he will respond soon and let you know what they are.  He is usually on each day.

Who is the creditor?

Have you filed a police report, put a fraud alert on your CR? 

Guiness56 is correct, of course.

If the debt is not yours, then there is no way a court can obtain proper jurisdiction and enter a judgment against you.  It is absolutely imperative that a police report be filed.  However, in your case the creditor has not even given you the information you requested which would allow you to go to the police.  This needs to be brought before the judge assigned to your case.

A likely outcome is that the judge grants a continuance pending the police investigation.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.