cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Being sued for a debt I don't see on my credit report?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Being sued for a debt I don't see on my credit report?

I just spoke with Mary Jane Elliot lawfirm today representing Jefferson Capital and Salute Gold card.  They are threatening to sue me over a debt that is not on my credit report (I've checked both TransUnion and Experian).  Not sure what I do?  Any advice is helpful.  I've spent the last few years building my credit and have a great score now.  I monitor it monthly and don't want it damaged.  Looking for some help, thanks!

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
traveler2005
Established Contributor

Re: Being sued for a debt I don't see on my credit report?

@Anonymous wrote:

I just spoke with Mary Jane Elliot lawfirm today representing Jefferson Capital and Salute Gold card.  They are threatening to sue me over a debt that is not on my credit report (I've checked both TransUnion and Experian).  Not sure what I do?  Any advice is helpful.  I've spent the last few years building my credit and have a great score now.  I monitor it monthly and don't want it damaged.  Looking for some help, thanks!

When did you have the card? Is it past the SOL?
This card is covered under the FTC ruling. I will send you the letter I wrote to the CA that tried to collect on the salute card I had, it was deleted from my reports within 5 days. 

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe it was opened in 2007 and closed in 2009 or 2010.  I've moved a few times since then and don't have any documentation, plus I can't find it on my credit report.  I appreciate your help.  My state's SOL is 6 years (Michigan) but I moved to Illinois after I opened it and moved back to MI about 3 years ago. 

Message 3 of 10
traveler2005
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I believe it was opened in 2007 and closed in 2009 or 2010.  I've moved a few times since then and don't have any documentation, plus I can't find it on my credit report.  I appreciate your help.  My state's SOL is 6 years (Michigan) but I moved to Illinois after I opened it and moved back to MI about 3 years ago. 

Sent you a PM

Starting Score: TU 573 Exp 523 Lender Pull, Eq 583
Current Score: TU 673, Exp 664.,Eq 672 04/17/2015 TU 741 Equifax 682 Experian 678

Goal Score: 700 across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Last HP 6/10/2015
Message 4 of 10
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

They are threatening to sue me over a debt that is not on my credit report (I've checked both TransUnion and Experian).

Your reports aren't really irrelevant.  A debt that isn't on your reports doesn't just cease to exist.

Message 5 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

A lot of CAs masquerade as "law firms" to scare people into sending money.  If they've sent you something in writing that's another story, but I wouldn't worry too much about these types of threats over the phone.    Also it happens to be a violation of the FDCPA when CAs threaten you with a lawsuit like this.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 10
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Moving to Rebuilding forum

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Aren't really relevant or aren't really irrelevant? I understand they are not the be all, end all, but I want more information about this supposed debt.  Should I send them a DV request? 

Message 8 of 10
Burned2manybridgesB4
Valued Contributor

@traveler2005 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

When did you have the card? Is it past the SOL?
This card is covered under the FTC ruling. I will send you the letter I wrote to the CA that tried to collect on the salute card I had, it was deleted from my reports within 5 days. 

+1

OP, google "compucredit ftc," and since your account was opened prior to Dec '08, most assuredly you're covered by the FTC ruling.

Message 9 of 10
kmoeller

I filed a complaint against Jefferson Capital with the BBB. 4 days lagter Jefferson responded that they disagreed with me, but as a courtesy they would stop all collections and remove the account from all three Credit reporting agencies.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.