Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Credit Repair Books?

tag
diva_1515
Valued Member

Re: Best Credit Repair Books?

I've always gotten my repair information online and legal info from the FTC website. I can PM you my favorite site.

I've come across many credit repair books that had outdated or incorrect information, or the information was readily available across the web. I wouldn't waste my time or money.

Message 11 of 27
jerome1296
New Visitor

A friend of mine has a great eBook.  I used the tips he presented and improved my score 84 points in less than 90 days.  You can download at Mod Cut

Jerome1296

Message 12 of 27
baller4life
Super Contributor

Spam alert!!!!
Message 13 of 27
p-
Valued Contributor

BluJay wrote:...The site is so huge it's impossible to find the information im looking for. When I do find something it's not exactly what i need. All I want to do is dispute some late payments.

In each forum category there are "stickys," or posts that stay at the top of the list.  One of these in the "Rebuilding Credit" forum here is called "Frequently Requested Threads."

This is a great starting point that will do as well as, or better than a purchased book.  Also, several of us have logged our own credit repair as it progresses, so you can see what did or didn't work for us.  I link my own journal in my signature.

As far as your late payment...  You can call the creditor and have them send you a printout of your payment history.  If you really weren't late, you can do a direct dispute with the creditor showing bank statements or cancelled checks that prove you were not late.  If they will not delete after that, submit the same information to the CRA.  If it is still not removed, you have a case and can sue them for money.  If you were actually late, you are better off using goodwill letters, which are also explained in the sticky.

Repair companies like Lexington can't do direct disputes or goodwill letters, so they won't be as effective as you can be.

Just "lying" to the CRA won't get you anywhere.  Think about it.  If that worked, we would all do it and have perfect reports.  Read the stickys for details, but in short, disputes signal the CRA to request confirmation from the creditor that the information is correct.  The creditor sends an update showing whatever they have in their system for your history, which of course will include the late payment.  Your report doesn't change, except you are one step closer to being branded a "frivolous disputer", i.e. a liar by the CRA and ignored in the future.  Like the boy who cried wolf.

Good luck!

Message 14 of 27
lewisfl
New Visitor

I disagree that one can find all the answers they need on sites like this but some great information is here. If I had to recommend a book, I would say look at The Credit Bible by Phil Turner. I read  this book and it helped me tremendously to solve some tough credit issues for my daughter. She ruined her credit in college and I wanted to help. I start researching and as a Stanford graduate,  I wanted the best. So one of my classmates who is an attorney recommended me this book. I would say that It gave me all the answers I needed to get her score up and was simply amazing. I hope this helps!!

Martha

Message 15 of 27
p-
Valued Contributor

lewisfl wrote: If I had to recommend a book, I would say look at The Credit Bible by Phil Turner. ...as a Stanford graduate,  I wanted the best.

Perhaps. It might not have some of the up-to-date information that one would find here, or current anecdotal best practices.  I personally found it simpler to get the basics here and ask questions as I went through it.  I'm up a couple hundred points, and qualify for virtually anything, so I must be doing something right.  Best of all, it's been free.

His website comes off like used car sales...  And you joining the forum to post this one and only comment makes me a bit suspicious.  Are you an employee of that organization?

Message 16 of 27
p-
Valued Contributor

@p- wrote:

lewisfl wrote: If I had to recommend a book, I would say look at The Credit Bible by Phil Turner. ...as a Stanford graduate,  I wanted the best.

...you joining the forum to post this one and only comment makes me a bit suspicious.  Are you an employee of that organization?

Gosh, M.  You joined this forum at 1:21 am, posted this comment at 1:31, and haven't been on since.  Who joins a website just for this?  I wonder if you are getting email notifications about these responses?  Let's find out.

ATENTION READERS!  It appears that sales of The Credit Bible are being inflated by fake forum members posting ads.  I found similar phrasing in positive reviews online, and suspect that this is a coordinated attempt to create demand for the book.  Until we see a reasonable response from M, perhaps with a copy of the alleged Stanford Degree, I recommend that you do not buy this book.  Consider it to be just another piece of spam from those trying to profit from free advice.

Message 17 of 27
p-
Valued Contributor

@jerome1296 wrote:

A friend of mine has a great eBook.  I used the tips he presented and improved my score 84 points in less than 90 days.  You can download at Mod Cut

Jerome1296

hahahaha  No.

Message 18 of 27
p-
Valued Contributor

@baller4life wrote:
Spam alert!!!!

For real.

Message 19 of 27
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Does seem a bit hinky.....

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 20 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.