Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Options?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Options?

Hi all

I have a friend who recieved a letter from midland for an old debt he owes. They are saying he has thirty days to be the debt or they will sue. He is not in a position to make payment arrangements at this time of any decent amount. Maybe $25 a month if that, but the debt is for $1400 and i am sure midland wont accept. Should he just ignore it or try to call them and explain his situation?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best Options?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi all

I have a friend who recieved a letter from midland for an old debt he owes. They are saying he has thirty days to be the debt or they will sue. He is not in a position to make payment arrangements at this time of any decent amount. Maybe $25 a month if that, but the debt is for $1400 and i am sure midland wont accept. Should he just ignore it or try to call them and explain his situation?

I would advise that he verify its still inside states SOL and anyone suing would be able to get a successful judgment. If it is then I would advise that he make some kind of arrangement with them for monthly payments to avoid the judgment.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I also suggested the same thing but i am pretty sure they wont accept $25 a month unless i am wrong. Also is calling them and trying to offer such a low amount a bad thing?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

See if they will settle for like $700. Then payments. They want the money, so im sure they'll accept something
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I also suggested the same thing but i am pretty sure they wont accept $25 a month unless i am wrong. Also is calling them and trying to offer such a low amount a bad thing?

How old is this debt? How did it originate? Is your friend currently employed? retired? disabled? 

Has he made any contact with midland in any way?

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

He is employed and divorced. Very small income though, barely enough to make ends meet. Debt is about 2 years old and he has not tried to contact them at all as of yet.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

what state does he live in? 

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

the debt was incurred in nj and now he lives in fl.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.