Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Route on Student Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Route on Student Loan

Hey everyone(mod please move if in wrong location)

I have 4 student loans. but are showing twice on CR.

4 old ones say Closed, zero balance.

4 "new" ones say close, with balance and are reporting late. Currently these are showing  4 missed payments with new account or servicing. All US ED.

what is the best way to tackle these?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best Route on Student Loan

would love some chime in on this. Anyone?

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey everyone(mod please move if in wrong location)

I have 4 student loans. but are showing twice on CR.

4 old ones say Closed, zero balance.

4 "new" ones say close, with balance and are reporting late. Currently these are showing  4 missed payments with new account or servicing. All US ED.

what is the best way to tackle these?

Are the loans current with missed payments? Did you miss them during the time period of the "old" TL or the new?

The only way to tackle them while late is to get them caught up. If they're Federal loans and enter default, you have the option to attempt to rehab them. Your SL servicer can guide you through the process. 

They're probably appearing twice because they moved from one servicer to another (just a guess). Sometimes the new servicer just updates the entry (typically in a merger); other times they create a new entry. 

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

i have not paid on them at all. but would like to figure it out

they are default(im sure), i belive it was service change.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can call the new servicer and ask them what to do to get them out of default. If they're private loans, usually you're only option is to PIF/settle, although some will also do rehab agreements. Federal loans are more forgiving. Neither route will get the negatives off your report but they will help minimize the damage. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.