Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Steps [was Chase, now PRA]

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best Steps [was Chase, now PRA]

In 2008, I entered into an agreement with Chase to settle two (2) CC accounts, each for 25% of the amount owed. (I also settled an outstanding card balance with B of A for 15%.)

I received two letters from Chase stating that I had paid off the agreed-upon amount on card A and had also paid off the agreed-upon amount on card B; they later discovered that the card B settlement letter was sent in error, but I was out of the country and never received their follow-up notification letter.

Chase sold the debt to PRA, which I gather from these forums is not going to be easy to work with, nor should I trust almost anything that they might say.

1.  In light of the mistake that Chase made, is there any chance that they can retrieve this account from PRA and potentially restore some kind of settlement arrangement?

2.  If not, what would be considered best practices when it comes to dealing with PRA (i.e. percentage to settle account) & Chase for the most uplifting outcome to my score.

My current middle score is 627 and I have a developer that is expecting me to close on a property in the next 90 days, not that I'll ever breathe a word of that to either of the above entities.

Thanks for your guidance.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best Steps [was Chase, now PRA]

1) If Chase sold the debt to PRA, then they likely won't buy it back or take over the debt. Never hurts to call Chase though. And never accept a "no" on the first couple of tries.

2) Send PRA a DV letter and mail it CMRRR. Wait for their response. If they don't verify, then they'll delete and go away. If they do verify, then mail a response back saying they didn't verify the balance owed and explain why. Enclose your settlement letter with a copyy of the payment to PRA (black out your bank account info if you had paid via check) and ask them to delete or go away. Don't tell them that Chase made an error.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.