Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best action to take fast

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best action to take fast

Hi,

A debt collector just called my work.  Actually she wouldn't tell my boss where she was calling from when he took the message so we did a reverse number look up to find out where she was calling from.  Anyway, I am not even sure what the debt collector is calling for...never received any letters and I have been paying all my bills.  The most important thing to me is not to have Monica the Debt Collector call me at work anymore.  What is the best action to take fast..cease and desist? and can I fax them the letter today and then send them a certified one later?  I just wish I knew what it is for...no clue, but calls like this make me scared.  I shouldn't call back correct?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best action to take fast

Don't call back.

Now that they've initiated contact, they are supposed to send a dunning letter within five days.  If you already know the CA (from your reverse look-up), then you can go ahead and send the cease and desist.  I wouldn't fax it (too many ways for it to get lost)--certified mail is best.

Be aware that sending a cease and desist letter can escalate the collection.  If they decide you're a "problem", they might go ahead and go judgment route.  Remember--the cease and desist is only for phone contact.  You can't make them stop trying to collect.  I would only do cease and desist if you're ready to handle this debt one way or the other.

Sounds like you don't know if you owe this debt yet.  Maybe a DV/cease & desist combo?

Message 2 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

Check your credit reports too.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

right now, i just really don't want them calling work.  if i send the cease and desist for just that is that still opening them up to a judgement.  Yeah, i really don't know what it is for!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just bought my CR...nothing listed, not even under inquiries.
Message 5 of 6
fused
Moderator Emeritus

To save yourself money, you might want to subscribe to a credit monitoring service, if you're in repair mode.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.