cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best approach for dealing with a CA that refuses PFD?

tag
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

Best approach for dealing with a CA that refuses PFD?

I owe Midland Smiley Mad $1,616 for an old T-Mobile bill. I sent a PFD CMRR with no response. I asked a rep on the phone for a PFD and they refused. I've read numerous threads stating Midland absolutely refuses PFD.

It is my debt. T-Mobile verified the amout owed. 

This isn't due to fall off until 2018 Smiley Surprised so I can't afford to wait for it to fall off or wait until its out of SOL. 

So I'm looking to do a settlement as I finally saved up a lump sum I can offer... but I don't want them sending me a 1099C or whatever that form is. Then I plan to GW the hell out of them. If they can call me 5 times a day, I can do the same to them and send letters.

So when I call this afternoon to see if I can get a settlement, should I offer $1017 ($599 less than what owed)? I received a letter in January being offer a $900something settlement, but like I said I don't want that amount forgiven coming back to bite me in the butt. 

I guess I just don't know how to go about this.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Best approach for dealing with a CA that refuses PFD?

I would do what you stated.  Offer them an amount that will make sure you don't get a 1099-C.  But only if you can PIF the settlement offer in full.  They like to sue.

After it is paid start the GW campaign.

Message 2 of 5
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

I would do what you stated.  Offer them an amount that will make sure you don't get a 1099-C.  But only if you can PIF the settlement offer in full.  They like to sue.

I know they are sue happy, which is why I want to get this paid and worry about getting it deleted after since they are refusing PFD. So if I'm forgiven $599, I'm in the clear for a 1099-C, correct? 

Message 3 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@SLR72689 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

I know they are sue happy, which is why I want to get this paid and worry about getting it deleted after since they are refusing PFD. So if I'm forgiven $599, I'm in the clear for a 1099-C, correct? 

Yes.  1099-C are reportable at $600 or above.

I would even give another $10 to make sure they don't try to add something.

Message 4 of 5
SLR72689
Frequent Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

@SLR72689 wrote:

@guiness56 wrote:

Yes.  1099-C are reportable at $600 or above.

I would even give another $10 to make sure they don't try to add something.

Good idea, I think I will do that. Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.