cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best course of action---PFD? Dispute? DV?

tag
sisyphuswins
Contributor

Best course of action---PFD? Dispute? DV?

Can you help with this situation for a friend, please?

Probable medical collection from 2009 for $790

No idea who the original creditor was---whether it was a hospital or an individual doctor or something else entirely.

No attempts by the CA to collect the debt--it's just sitting there on TU and I think it was EQ, but not EX.

My friend would like it off her report entirely.    So, given the fact that the OC is unknown, what would be the best thing to do?    Should she just dispute it with the CRAs since she doesn't know who she ever owed the money to?   Or just offer a low amount for PFD just to make it go away?

Thanks!!!

Starting Score (6/30/14): Credit Karma 619; Quizzle 656
Current Score (4/3/2015): TU 741; EQ 718; EX 671; FICO 8 Bankcard 730
Goal Score: 800 (aim high!!)

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best course of action---PFD? Dispute? DV?

Some info that may help

- What's the DoFD? This can be obtained by calling the CRA directly, identifying the account and requesting to know.

- Did she pull her own report? It's odd that the CA didn't list the OC. This is information the CRA should have and could be requested with the DoFD. 

- What state is she in? This affects not only the SOL, but a small number of states have different rules on medical reporting time limits. 

- Does she have the money to pay the account in full? If SOL isn't expired, inquiring on the CA could "poke the bear".

Message 2 of 5
sisyphuswins
Contributor

I'll let her know to contact the CRA's for DOFD.   I do know it's in Pennsylvania, so I believe past the SOL at least.

Quick question----it would be the DOFD with the OC, right?   Not the date the account was opened with the CA?  She said the account with the CA was opened June 2010 and was last reported to the CRA July 2010.

Starting Score (6/30/14): Credit Karma 619; Quizzle 656
Current Score (4/3/2015): TU 741; EQ 718; EX 671; FICO 8 Bankcard 730
Goal Score: 800 (aim high!!)

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sisyphuswins wrote:

I'll let her know to contact the CRA's for DOFD.   I do know it's in Pennsylvania, so I believe past the SOL at least.

Quick question----it would be the DOFD with the OC, right?   Not the date the account was opened with the CA?  She said the account with the CA was opened June 2010 and was last reported to the CRA July 2010.

Yes, with the OC. There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule with medical on what the DoFD is, but it's definitely not the date placed with the CA. Reporting guidelines state it has to be prior to date placed with them - if they received it in June 2010, the latest the DoFD could be is May 2010. 

SOL is Pennsylvania appears to be 4 years. As long as she doesn't do anything to restart the clock (not familiar with what events constitute that in PA), I'd go for a dispute. They don't have to respond to a DV at this point and probably wouldn't. 

Message 4 of 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

DoFD for medical bills is 30 days past the billing date if unpaid.

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.