Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best course of action?

tag
fixitquick
Contributor

Best course of action?

I need some advice.  My most recent EQ fico score is firmly sitting at 597. I know that the biggest factor is that I have an old, charged off Amex that is contributing to my utilization. Your opinion on which option I should prioritize:

1.) auto loan - sub-prime financing at ~18%. 36 months in on a 72 month loan - approx $16k remaining. Currently paying ~$500/mo

2.) Amex - original balance (08/2011) was almost $19k - currently about $14.5k.Paying $250/mo+

Kind of a "rock and a hard place" situation, in my opinion.  The Amex is causing my credit utilization to be well over 80%. I'm aware that at my current rate of pay, it will be a while before I pay it off, or at least down to the point where the utilization is not negatively affecting my score.  Amex offered me a settlement last year, but also offered the rebuilder program with a $5k limit once the balance is paid off - trying to put my irresponsible past behind me and regain Amex membership, rather than be forever blackballed, I opted to pay it off. 

The way I see it - despite the awful APR on the auto loan, I have never been late and it should be positively affecting my credit. The negative equity on a car that I drive 30k miles per year is hard to swallow though. The Amex is not accruing interest.  I, unfortunately, cannot refinance and/or buy a new car until my credit score is improved, and it is clear that the Amex is by far myworst lingering baddie. 

Any input?  

(please pardon any grammar errors - typing on my iPad and editing options are limited)

Starting Score (08/22/11): TU: 510 / EQ: 512
Current Score 07/11/14 TU: 658 / 07/11/14 EQ: 669 / 07/14/14 EX: 664
Goal Score: 720+ across the board!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
fixitquick
Contributor

Re: Best course of action?

I should add that the SW calculators project my score to be in the 670-700 range once the Amex is paid off. 

Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

What kind of Amex is it? Is there a CL reporting?

Loans have minimal impact on FICO. That's a good thing otherwise we'd all get heavily dinged when adding a car or home. I'd pay as planned. If given a chance in the future, pay it off early to save interest.

Message 3 of 6
fixitquick
Contributor

Amex was originally a Blue. My oldest form of credit (opened in 2000, my first year of college)

Started out as a $500 or $1000 credit limit.  After paying it off and forgetting that I had it for about 4 years, they sent me a new card and increased the CL to around $5k. After responsibly using it for a few months, they increased it again to $15,200. This is the CL that is reporting - current balance is about $14.5k (in addition to the $2500 or so in credit that I regularly use for work travel, getting reimbursed weekly - mostly paying this in full monthly). 

Definitely way more than I was able to handle at the time, being a 20 something, in college and working full time. I used it irresponsibly,even using one of the provided checks to pay off a remaining loan balance of $3-4k.  

Fell behind on payments and it eventually got charged off. Never got handed off to a CA - Amex kept it in house and has been working with me since last August to pay down the balance. It is reporting to all 3 credit bureaus monthly. 

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Ouch. If I had that, I'd pay down Amex or settle, and would do so over the car. I'm assuming you wanted to finance or refi, but that'd be difficult without at least paying down the Amex.

Message 5 of 6
fixitquick
Contributor

Thanks. That is my thought as well. 

I started a new job in May of this year and should start making $3-4k/mo in commission within the next couple of months. I intend to dedicate as much of that as possible to Amex to expedite the payoff. At the very least, I'd like to start sending $1000/mo in an effort to be done with itnay the end of 2013 and hopefully being well into the 700s. 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.