Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best # of store cards?

tag
cgussio
New Contributor

Best # of store cards?

I was wondering what the "best" # of store cards is to optimize FICO during my rebuilding journey? I freqently see the recommendation to have 3 revolving bank cards but was curious if there was a similar recommendation for store cards.

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
azguy13
Senior Contributor

Re: Best # of store cards?

I look at store cards as a gateway to prime cards. If in the rebuilding process, the shopping cart trick can help substantially. With that being said, I think 3 is a good number until you get to the point that you are being approved for prime cards. Once you are approved for the prime cards, you can prune the store cards if you would like. I do not feel that store cards improve a credit profile if the consumer already has multiple big bank revolving credit.

However, if you legit think that a store card will save you money because you shop there all the time anyways, then go for it! 

Message 2 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

The best # of store cards is none.

Only get what you intend to use.  Lots of people here have way too many and it kills their AAoA.  I have one (Walmart) and that's because I have their Discover upgrade on the radar. Otherwise it's MC/Visa for me...

FICO8 current as of : 4-17-24 EQ: 724 TU: 707 EX: 706
Hard INQs last 12 months: EQ: 5 | TU: 8 | EX: 9
Verizon Visa $8500 Amex Delta Reserve $10,000 Care Credit $18,000
NFCU CashRewards $7500 Apple Card $7000 Best Buy $8000 Amazon $5000
NFCU auto loan (2022 Ford Bronco Sport Badlands - Cactus Gray) 6.95%
NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Total CL: $64,000 --- Total CC UTI: 27% --- AAoA: 5.5 years --- Income: $200k
Last app: 4-6-24
Message 3 of 14
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

Only get what you intend to use.  Lots of people here have way too many and it kills their AAoA.  I have one (Walmart) and that's because I have their Discover upgrade on the radar. Otherwise it's MC/Visa for me...

Aren't them and Sam's Club transitioning to a Mastercard soon and dumping off Discover?

Message 4 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

Aren't them and Sam's Club transitioning to a Mastercard soon and dumping off Discover?

It's possible.  It wouldn't surprise me and if so I'll take a major CC upgrade either way.

Going back to getting cards you will use... That's how I play it.  I got Care Credit for medical... Have used it for myself and my dog.  Walmart for the upgrade... And 76/Chevron because there is a station on every corner here in the PNW.

I was just in Old Navy last weekend and declined their card offer... I shop there like twice a year and it's not worth it to me.  I'm on a roll headed towards 700...

NFCU motorcycle loan (2024 Harley Davidson Road Glide - Alpine Green & Chrome) 9.45%
Message 5 of 14
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

@TRC_WA wrote:

It's possible.  It wouldn't surprise me and if so I'll take a major CC upgrade either way.

Going back to getting cards you will use... That's how I play it.  I got Care Credit for medical... Have used it for myself and my dog.  Walmart for the upgrade... And 76/Chevron because there is a station on every corner here in the PNW.

I was just in Old Navy last weekend and declined their card offer... I shop there like twice a year and it's not worth it to me.  I'm on a roll headed towards 700...

I think the only store card I have ever had was Best Buy. I got it while I was buying all new appliances for a new home I had purchased. Their 0% financing was very attractive at the time. Once they were about to transition from Cap1 to Citi I closed it though. I do not shop at any specific store enough to get new credit for them. Plus, I have decent cards now that I earn rewards on so it really doesnt matter to me. 

Store cards are very useful though if your score is sub 630 or so and you cannot get approved for a prime card. Or, if someone is brand new to credit and is starting from scratch. 

Message 6 of 14
TRC_WA
Senior Contributor

@azguy13 wrote:

I think the only store card I have ever had was Best Buy. I got it while I was buying all new appliances for a new home I had purchased. Their 0% financing was very attractive at the time. Once they were about to transition from Cap1 to Citi I closed it though. I do not shop at any specific store enough to get new credit for them. Plus, I have decent cards now that I earn rewards on so it really doesnt matter to me. 

Store cards are very useful though if your score is sub 630 or so and you cannot get approved for a prime card. Or, if someone is brand new to credit and is starting from scratch. 

In addition to the cards I mentioned I also have a Best Buy... I got it in August one month before they switched to Citi... Still ticked about that every time I see that one month closed BBY/CapOne account on my CR... but yes it's useful for 0% promos.

Haven't got a store card since and have no plans too... I'm in the door with my CU and my score is improving every month.  I've got better cards already but yes I agree... The store cards were great a year ago when my scores were lower.  They got me where I need to be today.

I still don't recommend a dozen store cards like some around here have... Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 14
azguy13
Senior Contributor

@TRC_WA wrote:

@azguy13 wrote:

In addition to the cards I mentioned I also have a Best Buy... I got it in August one month before they switched to Citi... Still ticked about that every time I see that one month closed BBY/CapOne account on my CR... but yes it's useful for 0% promos.

Haven't got a store card since and have no plans too... I'm in the door with my CU and my score is improving every month.  I've got better cards already but yes I agree... The store cards were great a year ago when my scores were lower.  They got me where I need to be today.

I still don't recommend a dozen store cards like some around here have... Smiley Happy

Either do I. That is addiction, not proactive, lol. 

10 - $300 store cards are not worth the 10 HPs and massacre of my AAoA. 

Message 8 of 14
cgussio
New Contributor

Thank you for all of the responses. I am pretty much a big scaredy cat with my rebuilding efforts; there is no worry about me running out and getting a dozen store cards. I was just curious if there was a goal that I should have in my head that would best optimize my FICO score.

I was certain the folks here would be able to provide me an answer, or in lieu of that, at least a few opinions Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 14
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@cgussio wrote:

Thank you for all of the responses. I am pretty much a big scaredy cat with my rebuilding efforts; there is no worry about me running out and getting a dozen store cards. I was just curious if there was a goal that I should have in my head that would best optimize my FICO score.

I was certain the folks here would be able to provide me an answer, or in lieu of that, at least a few opinions Smiley Happy

Certainly, no one here seems ambivalent about them.  Some think they're the greatest tools in building/rebuilding and others think they're a high APR trap.

I would say that getting a preapproval offer for JCP in the mail was a sign for me that my credit was improving.  I took the offer and I'd honestly credit it for my rebuild success.  It's helped me and actually led me to see out this forum, which has really done wonders for me!

Anyway, to get back on topic...my best advise is to simply seek out credit that you need/want and would be of some benefit to you.  If a store card that you'd use offers a good rewards structure or special financing, it's a good TL for you.   Don't just get a CC because you can!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.