Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best option with $500 for rebuilding

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best option with $500 for rebuilding

breezy is correct. A second installment loan won't do anything. I would save the $$.You have 3 cards reporting, let them grow.
Message 11 of 30
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Ok, I'm just gonna do a share secured personal loan then and set it on auto pay. It's 3%. Can't hurt.
Scores as of 04/2021

Gardening until further notice
Message 12 of 30
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Just saw that it won't do anything as a second installment loan. Ok, it'll stay in savings then. Although really, my USAA Amex is secured with a cd that pays 0.54% which is much better than their savings rates. Idk.
Scores as of 04/2021

Message 13 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jason - it's 3% plus interest accrued for your benefit at 1% I think and that makes it only 2% so it's only $10. There's no downside to it, it can only help you.
Message 14 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Idk but from my my experience it boosted me 15 points even though I had positive installment loans...
Message 15 of 30
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Maybe this could be a test. It's only $500 and like you said, even if it doesn't help greatly, surely it won't hurt. Time to look into this a little more deeply.
Scores as of 04/2021

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd set it for a 1 year term. It'll end up costing you $10 but in the long run it'll be on your report for years and be a positive account which will help.

Look for one with a federal credit union. If nothing else it will give you positive history with them and may open more doors for you later on with them. Either way good luck!
Message 17 of 30
jason0618
Frequent Contributor

Too bad I burned navy federal for $5,000 in my Bk. I have a small credit union by my house, but they're a federal credit union, so that could work out. My primary every day spending and bill pay account is with Chase. Don't love them, but I like their bill pay system and they're everywhere in the country it seems like.
Scores as of 04/2021

Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Jason just out of curiosity, I was under the impression that you couldn't add to the secured USAA cards because they were cd's. Could you clarify that for me and tell me if I'm incorrect? I am a member with them also and didn't get my secured card with them because they terminate after 2 years which in hindsight was a mistake on my part because I don't intend to keep mine for that long.
Message 19 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Vet - From USAA

"You set your credit limit. When you apply, you'll also open a USAA Bank two-year variable rate certificate of deposit (CD). The amount of money you deposit — from $250 up to $5,000 — is your credit limit. You can increase your credit limit by adding money to your CD."
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.