Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best plan of attack for my idiotic past of credit mistakes

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best plan of attack for my idiotic past of credit mistakes

Hello All,,

First I want to thank in advance for any help and in general for the amount of knowledge that this community has already given me. 

I am basically looking for the best plan of attack on dealing with the remaining debts on my credit report. I will try to explain each in the best way that I can as well as much info as I have. 

I am still working out a granular budget (waiting on my paycheck tomorrow to input into YNAB) but generally I have an excess of 400-700 each paycheck (twice a month). 

Credit/debt profile - 

Experian - A R Recovery Solutions for $3582 Status date of 6/1/2011 - Planning on disputing this via the Credit Agency as balance is incorrect and is a duplicate on my credit report.

All three - AD ASTRA Recovery for $1201.00 Status date of 2/1/2015  - Planning on requesting a pay for delete for full amount when funds are avaialable. Have heard of success from other people.

All three - Carmax for $7929 Status date of 11/1/2013 Charge off for difference on a repo - Planning on offering a settlement when I get the funds in 2016

All three - Creedence Resource Management for $1098 status date of 2/1/2015 - Planning on offering a settlement or a PFD when funds are available

All three - Enhanced Recovery Co for $1393 status date of 2/1/2015 charge off - Planning on offering a settlement or a PFD when funds are available

All three - First Premier bank for $407.00 status date of 8/1/2010 - Planning on offering PFD in the next month or two

EX EF - Guardian Capital for $160 with status date of 10/2014 - Planning on offering PFD this month

All three - I C System Inc for $1792 with status date of 9/1/2015 - Planning on offering a settlement when funds are available

All three - Omni Financial for $2804 with Status date of 3/2013 - Planning on offering settlement when funds are available

All three - Pioneer MCB for $2934 with status date of 5/1/2011 - Planning on offering settlement when funds are avaialble

All three - Santander for $9790 with status date of mid-2014 - Planning on offering settlement when funds are avaialable

All three - Security national for $4558 with status date of 5/2013 - Planning on offering a settlement when funds are avaialble

EX - Unique National for $37.00 with Status date of 3/2010 - Planning on offering a pay to delete this month

EX - United Consumer Finl for $0 with status date of 7/2010 - This is the duplicate account. When I emailed the collection agency for information on this account he said it was for $1300 and was for the same item that is being reported by A R Recovery but with a different account number and amount. 

I have a few positives but did not list them here as they are good at the moment. Just trying to figure out if my plan is somewhat solid and maybe what order I should go in paying off or disputing these items. 

Thank you for any help!

Edit: It would also be beneficial to note that I am currently not receiving any collection mail or calls. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best plan of attack for my idiotic past of credit mistakes

As a general comment, unpaid, delinquent debt that is still owned by the OC may be your first priority.

Credit reporting on OC accounts that remain unpaid can usually get normally worse, such as by the addition of more montly delinquencies, by a charge-off, or by a sale or referral to a debt collector, and thus the addtion of a collection.

Avoiding further damage and still being able to deal with the OC can be important.

Message 2 of 9
Schoolbuskid
Valued Contributor

I'd start by trying to PFD the smallest amounts first and go from there...I agree with disputing the duplicate accounts.

Rebuilding and Reducing Debt, is my game plan.
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello All,,

First I want to thank in advance for any help and in general for the amount of knowledge that this community has already given me. 

I am basically looking for the best plan of attack on dealing with the remaining debts on my credit report. I will try to explain each in the best way that I can as well as much info as I have. 

I am still working out a granular budget (waiting on my paycheck tomorrow to input into YNAB) but generally I have an excess of 400-700 each paycheck (twice a month). 

Credit/debt profile - 

Experian - A R Recovery Solutions for $3582 Status date of 6/1/2011 - Planning on disputing this via the Credit Agency as balance is incorrect and is a duplicate on my credit report.

All three - AD ASTRA Recovery for $1201.00 Status date of 2/1/2015  - Planning on requesting a pay for delete for full amount when funds are avaialable. Have heard of success from other people.

All three - Carmax for $7929 Status date of 11/1/2013 Charge off for difference on a repo - Planning on offering a settlement when I get the funds in 2016

All three - Creedence Resource Management for $1098 status date of 2/1/2015 - Planning on offering a settlement or a PFD when funds are available

All three - Enhanced Recovery Co for $1393 status date of 2/1/2015 charge off - Planning on offering a settlement or a PFD when funds are available <-- dispute and they will be gone, Enhanced recovery has no collections dept, this is per a phone call with them directly 3 weeks ago.

All three - First Premier bank for $407.00 status date of 8/1/2010 - Planning on offering PFD in the next month or two

EX EF - Guardian Capital for $160 with status date of 10/2014 - Planning on offering PFD this month

All three - I C System Inc for $1792 with status date of 9/1/2015 - Planning on offering a settlement when funds are available

All three - Omni Financial for $2804 with Status date of 3/2013 - Planning on offering settlement when funds are available

All three - Pioneer MCB for $2934 with status date of 5/1/2011 - Planning on offering settlement when funds are avaialble

All three - Santander for $9790 with status date of mid-2014 - Planning on offering settlement when funds are avaialable

All three - Security national for $4558 with status date of 5/2013 - Planning on offering a settlement when funds are avaialble

EX - Unique National for $37.00 with Status date of 3/2010 - Planning on offering a pay to delete this month

EX - United Consumer Finl for $0 with status date of 7/2010 - This is the duplicate account. When I emailed the collection agency for information on this account he said it was for $1300 and was for the same item that is being reported by A R Recovery but with a different account number and amount. 

I have a few positives but did not list them here as they are good at the moment. Just trying to figure out if my plan is somewhat solid and maybe what order I should go in paying off or disputing these items. 

Thank you for any help!

Edit: It would also be beneficial to note that I am currently not receiving any collection mail or calls. 

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! I heard this as well.

I actually just wrote up a dispute to send out. Should I be sending the dispute to the Credit Agencies or send a DV to the actual company? I've heard of it being taken off of report with DV to the company.

Thanks to all who have answered.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you stand on the SOL on these accounts? You're looking at $35K worth of debt and about $1K per month in available funds. Many are in the "sweet spot" ($1K-$5K) as far as lawsuits go. Being too aggressive could start an avalanch of lawsuits with wage garnishments for the next 2-3 years.

I would definitely proceed VERY slowly and only approach items that have passed SOL for your state.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hello and thank you for the reply. The statute of limitations are as follows. (will just state the amount of the debt and if it is still in or not)

$3582- Yes

$1201- Yes

$7929 - Yes

$1098 - Yes

$1393 - Yes

$407 - No

$160 - No

$1792 - Yes

$2804 - No

$2934 - No

$9790 - Yes

$4558 - Yes

$37 - No

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, so basically only about $6k of that is what I would consider 'approachable' - those are what I would try to settle first - for as little as possible, PFD if you can get it.

The one that are still within SOL but are "manageable" amounts are what I would look at second. The rest I would quietly let age past SOL unless the creditors start making a lot of noise...

I would also do some defensive measures to make yourself look less collectible such as removing current and past employers from your reports, and not keeping money in any "big" banks or local banks, put it in online banks/CUs that are not local to you - just in case. And don't try to build any large credit lines, keep them modest until you're in a 'safe' place.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will do, thank you very much for the advice.

I currently have checking and $500 secured card through Navy Federal Credit Union and savings through a local credit union. 

Thanks again for the advice.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.