Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best secured card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best secured card

What I did is signed up for a checking account with a Credit Union and then waited awhile, applied for a secured card and got another one through Capital One since all they wanted was a $49 deposit for a $200 credit limit.

Worked out for me Smiley Happy

Message 11 of 17
Mellykca
New Contributor

I am a member of a credit union. They didn't list one on their site, but I called and asked today. They said they do offer one with 9% interest and no anual fee. However, you need to provide 110% of your desired credit limit. So if I want a $300 credit limit, I must provide $333 as my collateral. Does that sound ok or should I keep looking?
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mellykca wrote:
I am a member of a credit union. They didn't list one on their site, but I called and asked today. They said they do offer one with 9% interest and no anual fee. However, you need to provide 110% of your desired credit limit. So if I want a $300 credit limit, I must provide $333 as my collateral. Does that sound ok or should I keep look

I would ask them things like How long until before being considered for a unsecured card? (in my case they told me a year but I did it in 10 months)

Do they graduated into a unsecure card? Meaning do they just soft pull or do they make you apply for another card which is a hard pull. Can you increase your desposit at any time? (believe or not some of them are kinda funny when it comes to that)

Theses are the things I can think of and I'm sure others on here have input as well.

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh another thing when you finally get your unsecured card from Credit Union ask for max amount!

They may low ball you otherwise, for example I asked for $5000 which I knew I could not get based on my scores but they countered at $3500 which I happily took.

Not all CU's allow you to ask for limit on credit but mines did so I thought I mention it.

Message 14 of 17
sjt
Senior Contributor

Here is a secured card thread:

Secured Card List

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 15 of 17
Mellykca
New Contributor

It can unsecure, but they didn't give me a time when. I can add to it at anytime, but would always be 110% of what I want my limit to be.

I'm. It fond of the 110% thing, but I do like the interest rate compared to my capital one card. Otherwise I can keep looking.....
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Mellykca wrote:
It can unsecure, but they didn't give me a time when. I can add to it at anytime, but would always be 110% of what I want my limit to be.

I'm. It fond of the 110% thing, but I do like the interest rate compared to my capital one card. Otherwise I can keep looking.....

I second the NFCU route. 

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.